Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with coordinates when illsutration is bigger than the artboard

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I come to you because I have an issue related to my x,y coordinates being stuck at the top left of my artboard. My issue here is that when the 'illsutration' is bigger than the artboard, then my drawings made with extended script are off.

Here is the context:
I draw a shape in the browser in a viewer, then take the coordinates of these shapes.

Stefan2822351321vl_0-1680614040803.png

Here for example, I underline the title of a document.

However, using my script, the shapes representing the underline are off.

Stefan2822351321vl_1-1680614361728.png
They are specifically off by the same amount of which the document is bigger than the artboard on the top and left.

This is logic however, the (0;0) reference point in Illustrator is on the TOP LEFT.

Stefan2822351321vl_2-1680614782920.png

I drew a square at (0;0) of 10 width to illustrate it.

Now, let's imagine I want to draw that square on the TOP LEFT of my whole document, illustration and artboard included.

Stefan2822351321vl_3-1680615455660.png

It's easy; I just have to draw a square at (-5;5).

But my whole problem is how can I know how much the illustration is 'bleeding' away from the borders of my artboard?

I tried to use the visualbounds, artboardbounds, document size and they all return the same value (the size of the artboard itself).

Any help on the topic will be much appreciated, all I need is to know the TOP and LEFT amount of document that is bleeding from the art board.

I thought about looping thorugh all my layers and getting all the left top corners and getting the one with the maximum and use that as my new reference point, but I would like that to be a last resort solution.

Thanks you in advance for any help / information / suggestion 🙂
Stefan

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Ok, after some research I found an alternative solution.

I found out about the existence of multiple "boxes" around the document.

Stefanuel_0-1680701338728.png

credit to: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/change-page-boxes-when-exporting-pdf/m-p/9763571

So in short, what I did to resolve my problem was to crop the document in the online viewer, that way the (0;0) point of the viewer is also the (0;0) point in Illustrator. It seems you can read the metadata of the file, and see if the file has bleeding, marg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you post your script or a simplified version of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes 🙂

Here is a simplified bit of code that draws a rectangle on the coordinates of the 'noteData':

var doc = app.activeDocument;
myLayer= doc.layers.add();

var myPathItem = myLayer.pathItems;

//The 4.17 delta is used to convert shape coordinates from the viewer to the document
var xMin = (noteData.xMin) / 4.17;
var xMax = (noteData.xMax) /4.17;
var yMin = (noteData.yMin) /4.17 - doc.height;
var yMax = (noteData.yMax) /4.17 - doc.height;

rect = myPathItem.rectangle(yMin,xMin,noteData.width/4.17,-noteData.height/4.17)

rect.filled = false;
rect.stroked = true;
rect.strokeWidth = strokeWidth;
rect.strokeColor = noteStrokeColor;

I want to say that this code works fine on any document where no illustration is bigger than the artboard, no matter the format.
The 4.17 Delta ensures that the conversion between the data fetched from the viewer has the same proportion / position, it can safely be removed.

Thanks you in advance for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, after some research I found an alternative solution.

I found out about the existence of multiple "boxes" around the document.

Stefanuel_0-1680701338728.png

credit to: https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/change-page-boxes-when-exporting-pdf/m-p/9763...

So in short, what I did to resolve my problem was to crop the document in the online viewer, that way the (0;0) point of the viewer is also the (0;0) point in Illustrator. It seems you can read the metadata of the file, and see if the file has bleeding, margin, ... And by using these metadatas, you can decide what "box" do you want to use as your reference for the (0;0) point.

Thanks you all for help 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines