Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Snap to" with multiple points selected / Smart-Grid feature

Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Wondering about the smart grid / snap to feature. It works flawlessly when trying to snap a single point to another object, may it be its center, its anchor points or anywhere on its paths! Once we try to move and snap multiple selected points it's only snapping to another objects anchor points, but not on its paths—I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure that I used this feature a million times before?

Just saved a video to DropBox, might help explaining the issue…

Dropbox - adobe-cc-illustrator-snapt-to.mov

Any ideas? Thx.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Telling (or rather not telling) that you are referring to compound paths is the missing crucial point.

Yes, I can reproduce it in the latest version of Illustrator. Obviously it is a bug.

It works well with compound shapes created through the Pathfinder palette. It also works well with compound paths in older versions of Illustrator (CS5 for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can hold down the Cmd key while dragging. It will then snap as desired.

In older versions of Illustrator it wasn't required to use a modifier key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, missed to mention this: with "cmd" down while dragging I can snap to other objects anchor points only, not its paths!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me (Illustrator 21.1.0).

Which version of Illustrator are you using? Also, can you post a screenshot that shows your Smart Guides settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same version here, via CC. Settings attached… Works perfectly until multiple points selected (see last part of video-link above). Thank you is much for your help.

illustrator-settings-1.png

illustrator-settings-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for being a bit sceptical, but are you sure that you are permanently hold down the Cmd key while you are dragging, rather that hitting the Cmd key once and then releasing it while dragging? Can you swear it?

What happens if you select an entire path (all anchor points selected/highlighted) and Cmd drag it with the Selection tool or Direct Selection tool while the Cursor is focussed on an anchor point or a segment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skeptical is good, no problem! Yes, I am holding down the cmd key… Fingers crossed ( x ).

It tried fooling around with as I thought it's a strange issue indeed. Opened a new file, drew a couple of shapes, et voila, works perfectly. Back to my file, doesn't work. Finally figured that it seems to be an issue with multiple points (not) snapping to a compound path—see attached video, I think you should be able to reproduce it!

Dropbox - adobe-cc-illustrator-snap-issue.mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Telling (or rather not telling) that you are referring to compound paths is the missing crucial point.

Yes, I can reproduce it in the latest version of Illustrator. Obviously it is a bug.

It works well with compound shapes created through the Pathfinder palette. It also works well with compound paths in older versions of Illustrator (CS5 for example).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant! Can we report it as a bug?

Still… also not working for me through the Pathfinder palette. Anyway, good to know it's supposed to work—so will hopefully get fixed again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you may report it as a bug. I would mention that it worked in former versions of Illustrator.

As for the Pathfinder palette: I'm not talking about creating compound paths. I'm talking about compound shapes. Compound shapes are sometimes similar to compound paths, but they are different object types. The snapping issue does not occur when you are using compound shapes instead of compound paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines