• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Unable to set maximum number of files to be opened" in CS6 trial, CS5 runs fine

New Here ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to start up the CS6 trial on a mac running OS X 10.7.3, I get the following message: "Unable to set maximum number of files to be opened."  After clicking "OK" on that dialog, Illustrator quits.  Illustrator CS5 runs perfectly, as does Photoshop CS6 trial.

Searching for this error showed other people having this on much earlier versions of Illustrator as a result of their maxfiles limit being set too low.  The suggested fix was removing /etc/launchctl.conf to unset the limit.

Running `launchctl limit` show my maxfiles hard and soft limits are 10,000.  I do not have an /etc/launchctl.conf file, and running `mdfind launchctl` doesn't show any other config files with that name sitting elsewhere (like in /private).  Finally, I've run Repair Disk Permissions.

If anyone has ideas on what I can do to get Illustrator running on my computer, I'd appreciate it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Script works, however it appears it's required to run everytime to open Illustrator. Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script launches Illustrator just fine.

I had this issue when I first installed CS6, but after a restart, Ai started working normally. I go to launch it today, and I get the error at startup again. BUT, this screipt works -- now Adobe just needs to figure out what's going on instead of putting the brunt of the work on us. CS5 Ai works just fine. I don't -- and never have -- had Smart installed, nor any app like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2012 May 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I receive the following Terminal error when I use the script:

2012-05-24 08:34:34.189 Adobe Illustrator[56601:3e03] CFURLCreateWithString was passed this invalid URL string: '/System/Library/Frameworks/' (a file system path instead of an URL string). The URL created will not work with most file URL functions. CFURLCreateWithFileSystemPath or CFURLCreateWithFileSystemPathRelativeToBase should be used instead.

2012-05-24 08:34:38.874 CS6ServiceManager[56607:a03] *** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0x1d03, name = 'com.adobe.csi.CSServiceManager.3'

See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No word from Adobe on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really really really REALLY hope that Adobe is paying attention to this issue.

I've now had this issue happen intermintantly on two different computer, neither of which have ever had the SMART software installed on them and neither that appear to to have the launchd.conf or sysctl.conf (unless I'm missing some kind of setting to reveal this files, but I doubt it as I'm going through terminal on an admin account). 

One of the computers is essentially a totally clean instal with nothing on it other than MS Office and Adobe CS 6.

Thankfully the script Nick made is working, but its crazy to have to resort to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2012 May 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@amco: create a new user account and run Ai after logging into it. does it work. At times we think our machines are clean but softwares do get installed on our machines e.g unknown ones like device drivers or known ones like MS office. One thing is however certain Adobe enginers did not enocounter this before they shipped it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Such a frustrating error...

I've just run repair disk permissions and restarted my iMac and hey presto the Illustrator is working without issue.

Previously tried the Adobe official solution which would get it started but there were some odd side affects on the interface.

Hopefully this might help some of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a day of stability, my Ai started acting up again.

Unfortunately, repairing permissions doesn't seem to be the solution either. I've done that numerous times (redundantly) both with Disk Utility, and Onyx, and neither helped.

I didn't try booting into the recovery partition, and running Disk Utility from there; but I doubt that that will help.

Not that I really 'understand' these things, but considering that Adobe suggests editing launchd.conf (for those who have it), I thought that this whole thing may have something to do with messed up 'launch daemons', or 'launch agents'. I went rummaging through all of my Library folders today (system, root, user) looking inside .plist files that might be relevant, but couldn't find anything related to Ai.

If there are any *nix-savvy folks out there—does any of this ring a bell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just open the terminal and run the following string:

sudo sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=15000

It will simply raise de number of maxfiles and illustrator will open without any other additional script or anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2015 Mar 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That still does't work on Yosemite

$ sudo sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=15000

kern.maxfiles: 65536 -> 15000

$ sudo open /Applications/Adobe\ Illustrator\ CS6/Adobe\ Illustrator.app

I had to do this: Open Files Limit for another situation I encountered

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

15000 is probably not enough on yosemite and later.

64000 or 128000 is probably better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem at the High Sierra. I deleted Anydesk and everything was fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your message is mostly clear, but there are a few grammatical errors and some awkward phrasing. Here's a revised version:

"To those poor souls still facing this issue on High Sierra:

Check the folder /Library/LaunchDaemons/.

In my case, I had /Library/LaunchDaemons/limit.maxfiles.plist (the name could be different), which contains the maxfile limits option. You should allow Illustrator to set this parameter by itself. Delete the file or change it to unlimited and restart macOS.

Execute this command: launchctl limit maxfiles

To make Illustrator work again, you need to have this output:

maxfiles 256 unlimited

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines