• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ruby Texture

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.  I am using Illustrator CS6 on my Mac.  I have chosen RGB 155, 17, 30 for the ruby red color.  I do not want to make a ruby gem, but I would like the ruby red to have a texture that looks like the surface of a ruby.  Are there any effects or anything else in Illustrator that I can use to do that?  If there are any effects, please let me know what settings I should use.

Thank you.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

i understand you don't want to make a ruby gem. however, you need to look at one in order to understand what you want to make. A ruby is a smooth stone.

This image is made of the color you want to use:

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 10.48.53 AM.png

Lets look at the "glare" below, do you see how there are smaller shapes of lighter color? thats one component

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 10.49.03 AM.png

and the second component is the gradiants, see below:

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 10.49.14 AM.png

those two compoments when put together, give you the look you are talking about.

You have two choices. draw what you wa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no out of the box effects. You could try and search for some old tutorials that teach you how to make an "Aqua button". Maybe that fits. You just need to use different colors of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this search in google: creating a ruby gem in Adobe Illustrator

There are tutorials there that can get you started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i understand you don't want to make a ruby gem. however, you need to look at one in order to understand what you want to make. A ruby is a smooth stone.

This image is made of the color you want to use:

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 10.48.53 AM.png

Lets look at the "glare" below, do you see how there are smaller shapes of lighter color? thats one component

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 10.49.03 AM.png

and the second component is the gradiants, see below:

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 10.49.14 AM.png

those two compoments when put together, give you the look you are talking about.

You have two choices. draw what you want and using the pen tool draw light shades of the same color, like in the first component; and last, draw shapes and apply gradients like in the second component.

Or

Find a texture of glass, make it to a black and white .tiff, use the opacity panel and do a mask. Find a texture that has lots of little shapes and repeat.

I would go with the first option, smaller file size. Easier way.

hope this answer your question? 

thanks

jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Jonathan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines