• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sample Colors For Freeform Gradient

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator Desktop, once a gradient mesh has been created, one can sample colors (using the Eyedropper) for each node from an image in placed in registration.  I have a design which needs a similar technique for a freeform gradient.  An example is shown below.

I’ve tried a number of things and have “done considerable research” but have been unable to come up with anything functional.

Today, I’m looking for ideas to try to sample points on a photograph and use those colors in a freeform gradient.

shaded relief-2.jpg

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want to use the eyedropper tool and not nthat little eyedropper in the gradient stop popup, which appears when you douple click the gradient stop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine a scenario where I have the base photograph, like the image above, placed on the lowest layer.  Then I create a new layer above that one and create a rectangle shape on it.  In this shape I form a freeform gradient.  Four control points appear.  If I hit “I” on the keyboard, the control points disappear.

At what point should I be using the Eyedropper Tool to sample the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Four control points appear.  If I hit “I” on the keyboard, the control points disappear.

By @Skierx333

That's what I wanted to know, so that is how you would like it to work.

You will need to make a feature request: Please post to http://illustrator.uservoice.com and describe how you would like it to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you get the "Eyedropper" tool, hold down the shift key on the keyboard. Then click the photo. You can learn the color value of the point you clicked.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Imagine a scenario where I have the base photograph, like the image below, placed on the lowest layer.  Then I create a new layer above that one and create a rectangle shape on it.  In this shape I form a freeform gradient.  Four control points appear.  If I highlight one of the control points, engaging the shift key does nothing.  The cursor indicates it is intending for me to create another control point.

At what point should I be using the shift key to sample the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines