• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scale tool tells what percent it reduced the most recent item?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a place that the Scale tool tells you what percent it reduced the mst recent item. If I drag a box by corner point - and scale it down - is there a way of knowing what percent smaller the box was made?

I'm making charts and trying to match what comes our of excel - which is only roughly scaled to a past year's charts and I need to match the width of the bars - to last year's and then apply that percentage to the whole chart. I hope that's clear! MANY thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Instead of just scaling by grabbing the bounding box with a selection tool, use the Scale tool.

Click a corner with the Scale Tool, grab an opposite corner and Shift drag until it is your desired size.

Double click the Scale Tool in the Tools panel to see the scale percentage.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you use the Scale tool, it remembers the last setting. Is that what you are asking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! Yes, and does it display the number in the dialog (scale) box next time you go to use it? I haven't been abole to get it to do that but I thought there was a way. If it makes it any clearer here's what I'm trying to do: Size an object by eye - but then know what actual percent I scaled it by.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen,

How about just DoubleClicking the Scale Tool (in the Toolbox)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I don't know the Scale (%) until I manually scale it - and I can't see what % the item was scaled. I just know …. it looks good/right size to me. But then I need to know how to apply the same % to other items so they match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of just scaling by grabbing the bounding box with a selection tool, use the Scale tool.

Click a corner with the Scale Tool, grab an opposite corner and Shift drag until it is your desired size.

Double click the Scale Tool in the Tools panel to see the scale percentage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MUY PERFECTO!!!!!! Thank you. Ton, Thank you. And our last names are so similar. Could we be related many generations ago?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help Karen.

We are all family in the end 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jacob! You are always anamazing help! I guess this answer was correct too! I just didn't realize it at the time! Thank you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Karen.

I thought you were using the Scale Tool for the ClickDragging; and then I was away for quite some hours.

Luckily, Ton was there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I was away even longer than a few hours! My first answer was on a layover between flights, and then I was off-line.

It takes a village...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what an extraordinary and generous village it is! Thank you jane-e for your thoughtfulness!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that fact - that I was using the V tool & NOT the Scale tool was what was missing from my wording of my question! And from your answer - I've re-learned that old saying: There's more than one way...

Now I will keep that in mind with all the tools I use in ai and observe details like that  - that may be different depending on which tool is used. Again, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karen,

The Free Transform Tool also has its (special) moments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a perfect "cliffhanger!" I guess I should google that? Or go to lynda.com? I'm sure that since you are mentioning it -- I WANT to know about it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2016 Nov 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Karen,

You may create an object, then select it, and then ClickDrag in different directions:

A) At a corner point of the Bounding Box,

A1) Just raw,

A2) Pressing one, or any combination of two, or all three of the keys Shift, Alt/option, and Ctrl/Cmd;

B) At a side point of the Bounding Box,

B1) Just raw,

B2) Pressing one, or any combination of two, or all three of the keys Shift, Alt/option, and Ctrl/Cmd;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines