• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

seemless pattern issuses

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason my seemless pattern has objects that are doubling up. I cant figure out why it is doing this. If anyone knows why this is happening please help me out. Screenshot_20230210_070917.pngThanks a bunch in advance.

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

It seems as in your pattern there are two stars on the same spot / or on the left and right edge which will result in them showing up on the same spot. As they are a different size there might be two stars you are dealing with.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

And once the swatch has been created and you want to retrieve the tile as a repeating one (as sometimes printers prefer to deal with a tile than with the actual file with the pattern repeating - for fabrics for example) Then you can drag and drop the relevant swatch into your canvas. I learned this trick recently and it saved me hours!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you create them, do you use the Pattern maker?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I don't use he pattern maker because from my understanding you can't use it as a swatch if you do it that way. I place my objects On the left and duplicate them to the right. Same for top and bottom. Then I fill the middle and create a bounding box. Last I crop it to delete the parts of the objects that are hanging outside the lines. Drag it to my swatch panel afterwards. I then create a square and fill it with my design. If I scale to the exact size of my art board I have no problem. But if I scale larger I get the issue posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your pattern will automatocally be added to the Swatches panel if you use the Pattern Maker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I will try that and see how it works for me. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I don't use he pattern maker because from my understanding you can't use it as a swatch if you do it that way.

By @Step111

I know that there are tutorials around in which people tell you that patterns made with the pattern editing mode are not good enough. That's not true.

I place my objects On the left and duplicate them to the right. Same for top and bottom.

You have to move them in the exact same distance your pattern bounding box has. Did you do that?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-11 um 11.08.30.png

If I scale to the exact size of my art board I have no problem. But if I scale larger I get the issue posted.

The size of the artboard has to be a multiple of the pattern bounding box. Otherwise it won't work.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-02-11 um 11.08.43.png

When applying the pattern to that rectangle, Illustrator probably won't start in the top left or bottom left, but that won't matter as long as you have the correct size of the rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow Ton's advice -- Pattern Maker is the easiest way to create patterns.

After you draw the shapes for the pattern,

image.png

Select all the shapes and choose Object > Pattern > Make. Click OK if a dialog appears.

You will get a preview of the pattern and the Pattern Options panel will open. In Pattern Options you can adjust the spacing and other settings.

When satisfied, you can click Done in the upper left corner of the window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got around to trying this method and it worked for me. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems as in your pattern there are two stars on the same spot / or on the left and right edge which will result in them showing up on the same spot. As they are a different size there might be two stars you are dealing with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks I really appreciate the help. I will give an update once I try it out. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually as soon as you choose pattern maker a swatch is created. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to check out some vids on pattern maker and try it out. I will give updates on how it works for me. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you can edit your pattern afterwards by double clicking the swatch in the Swatches panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks I really appreciate the help. I will give an update once I try it out. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And once the swatch has been created and you want to retrieve the tile as a repeating one (as sometimes printers prefer to deal with a tile than with the actual file with the pattern repeating - for fabrics for example) Then you can drag and drop the relevant swatch into your canvas. I learned this trick recently and it saved me hours!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks for the input. Once I try everything out I give an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines