Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Settlers in a virgin forest

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

i am writing a family history book on my family's pioneer life in the Eastern Townships of Quebec. The settlers arrived on mass from England to a virgin forest in 1836. They were assigned a lot in the forest of about 100 acres, built a log cabin and tried to survive. There is an 1842 census which shows the exact Lot they were placed on which is pretty neat.

i want to do an illustration which shows the family name, Lot number, the road and road name, a log cabin for each family, the all encompassing forest, and any streams flowing through.

i have no idea how to illustrate this and would be ever so grateful if someone could advise how I could do this with Adobe Illustrator. I think it could really look interesting if done properly.

May I please have your kind guidance?

Thanks

Gord

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abigail,

Yes, you can draw this using Adobe Illustrator. Have you sketched out by hand roughly what you want? If we see that, we might be better able to advise.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane et al

Below is a sketch as you suggested. I did it for the first two settlers that homesteaded in Knicky Knocky (apparently the roads were very rough hence the weird name), just outside the village of Bury, Quebec. I visualize the background as an aerial view of a maple/coniferous forest with just the cleared acreage and log cabins on each lot breaking up the wilderness vastness. It would be so awesome if the farm animals could be included. I downloaded the Adobe Illustrator but have accepted that I do no have the skill set to actually do the illustration. I have no experience in this regard.

I look forward to people's thoughts and suggestions.

Gord

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sketch doesn’t show up on my message; Whatt should i do to get it to show up?

gord

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abigail,

You may click the 7th icon at the top of the Reply window, the one just to the left of the arrow pointing right, which should let you upload the image file.

Or you may post a link to a page on your own website or a sharing site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4A0573E0-E712-4ADA-99DC-644147E1A7ED.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gord,

There are a few ways to represent (some of) what you wish to show, the list A) - E) in the first post still being relevant, I am afraid.

It might also be good to see how the 1842 census looks, now that you can post images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gord,

Whichever application/tools/ways may be relevant, you have to have an idea how to illustrate this.

The description would seem to imply many details and a carefully planned overall structure and general appearance, and you may consider (much more than):

A) The desired overall appearance/impression,

B) The level of detail including the number of details such as numbers of cabins/streams/trees,

C) The level of lifelike representation such as the likeness of actual trees in an actual forest (presumably with great variety in sizes and different kinds/species) as compared to generalized shapes representing trees/a forest, and such as the likeness of cabins to actual undoubtedly different cabins as compared to a generalized cabin shape.

D) The relative prominence of the different parts (family name, Lot number, the road and road name, a log cabin for each family, the all encompassing forest, and any streams flowing through),

E) The possible inclusion of the 1842 census, maybe letting it represent some of the parts in D).

Often some simple sketches on a piece of paper/board/napkin/whatever will be a good way to start, not least to help considerations as those above.

Edit: And what Jane said.

Hi Jane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isometric map is one idea

Google image search  that, for the styles look.

You could download ( free or paid for)  ready made models ie trees cabins etc to populate it.

Eg search for isometric vector trees

Then draw the roads and rivers yourself

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to you all for your suggestions; they are very helpful. I will, as suggested, draw out a sketch of what I am seeking to do to give people a better idea.

Gord

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines