Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shortcut for closing all open UI-windows

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

if i hit cmd-t the window for fonts opens up. If I hit again, it closes. The same for color with F6, and so on.

My Question:

Is there a shortcut (or can i define one for myself) to close all open UI-windows without using all the different shortcuts for the individual windows?

Thx a lot!

Cheers!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Try this: Close all open palettes and create a custom workspace. Call that workspace "Nothing", for example.

Then go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Menu Commands > Window > Workspace and assign a shortcut to the Reset "Current Workspace" command.

Now open some palettes. As soon as you want to close all palettes again, hit the shortcut to reset "Nothing".

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TAB - will toggle between hiding all windows, and bringing them back

SHIFT TAB - will toggle between hiding all windows (except the tools) , and bringing them back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx, i know that. But i was looking for just closing the open windows. All my UI-Panels are shrinked down to there button-state. I open them with the shortcuts and instead of klicking on the buttons of all open Panels, i would like to close them with a shortcut.

Hope it is a bit more clear now.

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification. Your mentioning CMD T lead me to believe you wanted to close items such as the character palettes.

Try this script

http://files.kaleidoscopechicago.com/_BAWeBUTEGTCr7R

SaveAndCloseAll.js

2 KB

The URL will expire on April 19.

Still worked for me on CC 2015.3 Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice Script,thx!

Will give it a shoot anyway, but i think i did mislead you with my second post.

I indeed want to close these item as the character palettes or the color palette or stroke palette and so on.

I wanted to know if there is something like a global close-shortcut?

Sorry for the confusion!

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://files.kaleidoscopechicago.com/_-iWuiWNTbTXrdR

SaveAndCloseAll.js

2 KB

The URL will expire on April 19.

Used my minimal scripting skills  to make English warning window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is wrong with TAB or SHIFT TAB??  What else do you want to do besides that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, in my setup i have a small 13" display on the go. I stacked many different panels on the left and on the right side of the screen and minimised them to the "button-only-state". I have learned a couple shortcuts to different palettes (f.e. colors, fonts, stroke ...) to optimise my workflow and open them individualy with the keys.

Now if i have a couple open, i would like to just close them. Shift-Tab just hides the panels and after showing them again, the panels are still open

Thx a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your version of Illustrator support Custom Workspaces?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does.

If you mean, that i can save my custom workspace layouts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: Close all open palettes and create a custom workspace. Call that workspace "Nothing", for example.

Then go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Menu Commands > Window > Workspace and assign a shortcut to the Reset "Current Workspace" command.

Now open some palettes. As soon as you want to close all palettes again, hit the shortcut to reset "Nothing".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was a genius idea!

Works like a charm. Thx a lot for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines