• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space after type -- can't align bounding box

Engaged ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason AI is adding a space after my type making it impossible to align the bounding box underneath another bounding box of type, which, for some reason, has no space. I thought I had hit the space key, but when I retype the text I see that it creates a space.

I know that I can convert to path outlines, but I need to experiment with the type to get the right size. Anyone ever notice this behavior?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it point type or area type? Enabling the Use Preview Bounds feature in Preferences fixes this kind of problem for point type, but area type frames are impenetrable in that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regular point type. I changed the setting you mentioned, but it still leaves a space after the last character. It may depend on the individual font, I have no idea. It doesn't do it in Corporate S, but does do it in Arial. I just expanded to paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, every character in a well-designed font will have "side bearings" of some size; some larger than others for various reasons, even within a given font. I don't know if you can show a screen shot, but your descriptions appear to suggest that you're attempting to right-align pieces of left-justified point type, and it's hard to imagine there isn't a better way to achieve your objectives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Paul,

Maybe far too far out, you may select the other live Type object and with the Type Tool just after the last letter hit the space key to add a space at the end, then still with the Type Tool select that end space and reduce its width by reducing the Horizontal Scale in the Character palette, down from 100% to whichever % value yielding the desired fit/alignment of the Bounding Boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines