• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

splitting a curved object into a grid [Illustrator]

Contributor ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, i'm wondering if it's possible to split a curved object into an even grid? The object above is the one i'm trying to do it on, the one below is a rough sketch of the desired effect i mean, any help much appreciated, thanks.

image.png

[Screenshot added to post & attachment removed by moderator.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

nadrojxinnam,

For a new regular (replacement) shape more regular than the one shown, I should do as Hans-Jürgen did with the Polar Grid, maybe reshaping by expanding and then non uniformly scaling if needed before deleting the unneded parts.

For a more customized/existing shape like the one you have shown, I should do as Megan did with the simple blend for the curved lines, and then one of two ways for the straight lines depending on the number and position of Anchor Points on the curved lin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need a geometrically exact solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it doesn't have to be exact, but pretty close to it if possible

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you can create that by yourself.

Use the Polar Grid Tool and play with its settings. Afterwards you can remove the unnecessary parts of the grid.

radiales_Rasterwerkzeug.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cut each corner of the shape. Then select the top and bottom lines and create a blend and enter however many steps you need. Draw a center line vertically that extends a few inches longer than your warped shape. Duplicate the center line and lock it. Select the the far left vertical line and the center line you first drew and create a separate blend. Unlock your other center line and select the far right vertical line and create another blend using the same amount of steps as the vertical blend just created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nadrojxinnam , Hi.

Here is another possibility.

I created a grid using the Rectangular Grid Tool.

Then used Object>Envelope Distort>Make with Warp.

K

Screen 01.pngScreen 02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nadrojxinnam,

For a new regular (replacement) shape more regular than the one shown, I should do as Hans-Jürgen did with the Polar Grid, maybe reshaping by expanding and then non uniformly scaling if needed before deleting the unneded parts.

For a more customized/existing shape like the one you have shown, I should do as Megan did with the simple blend for the curved lines, and then one of two ways for the straight lines depending on the number and position of Anchor Points on the curved lines, the generally applicable solution being a horizontal blend of (far too) tall vertical lines with the right number of steps with its spine replaced by a copy of (one of) the midmost curved line(s) from the expanded first blend, then expanding the second blend and trimming off the surplus (you can use the Shape Builder Tool); the latter part to obtain a regular grid width along (each of) the curved lines.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/creating-shapes-shape-builder-tool.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/atv/cs5-tutorials/creating-complex-art-with-the-shape-builder-to...

Was this unintelligible and woolly enough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for the replies and help, i got the results i was looking for

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, nadrojxinnam.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines