Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stipple pattern

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to recreate the pattern of this football shirt (please see image).

I have managed to recreate the geometric shapes and I have used clipping masks to hold the white stipple effect, but I would prefer to create a pattern swatch of the stipple effect so I can apply it to each of the shapes, but the pattern I set up did not sit correctly within the shapes.

I have also attached a screen grab of my artwork.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Holland+Euro+1988.jpgScreen Shot 2017-02-01 at 13.55.31.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

To get that look I would use individual Rhombus shapes with a few different gradients inside them.

The  gradient you have is more radial in comparison to the original which is more linear (except for the triangle at the top).

Below is what I used.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 10.27.17 AM.png

Tweaking the angle of the gradient will be a major part of recreating this artwork, and I personally select the numeric value and use the up and down cursors (add shift for 10X increments) to tweak, as the gradient annotator cannot be moved around with pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you expect the pattern to do?

Also please show your pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

I only want to apply the pattern to the individual pieces (I don't think I could create a pattern for the full shirt) if that makes sense.

I have attached a screen grab of my pattern swatch and its settings and then a screen shot of the pattern applied to a rectangle.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 15.48.52.pngScreen Shot 2017-02-01 at 15.49.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patterns are always applied in horizontal alignment. On top of that they are aligned to the document rulers. You would need to adjust each of the patterns to the object. That would be a lot of manual work.

You could instead build one of these red building blocks together with the stipple (as a clipping mask) then duplicate it and align.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get that look I would use individual Rhombus shapes with a few different gradients inside them.

The  gradient you have is more radial in comparison to the original which is more linear (except for the triangle at the top).

Below is what I used.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 10.27.17 AM.png

Tweaking the angle of the gradient will be a major part of recreating this artwork, and I personally select the numeric value and use the up and down cursors (add shift for 10X increments) to tweak, as the gradient annotator cannot be moved around with precision.

Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 10.28.30 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike that will save a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my part you are welcome.

Out of curiosity, what did you use to make the stipple dot? While I do not use many Photoshop effects in Illustrator, the mezzotint is quite useful, and was hoping for more feature controls to do that in illustrator without having to make images in Photoshop.

This is a real cool project, good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mike,

The stipple effect was created using illustrator brushes I downloaded them from the link below:

Dropbox - Dogslobber_SprayStippleBrushes.ai.zip https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1muusmfyoq0kc2/Dogslobber_SprayStippleBrushes.ai.zip?dl=0

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not understanding exactly what you want the pattern to look like. Do you want the stipple effect without the solid areas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barbara,

Ideally I would like to have the stipple effect and the orange background.

I thought it would be best to create a pattern swatch for the individual shapes.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines