• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroke on Certain Fonts

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I am having issues adding stroke to the font Source Serif Variable.  With most fonts the stoke works perfectly but with this one it seems to follow the paths rather than the outline.  I've tried applying to the font, I've tried creating outlines, does the font need to be simplified in some way first?  I've run out of talent here.

I am a bit of a noob with illustrator so I am sure this is something emabarrasingly easy to fix, any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

This is probably to do with how variable fonts are constructed from multiple shapes in order to enable the variable magic to work properly.

One way to (visually) fix might be to add a Pathfinder > Add effect from the effects menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably to do with how variable fonts are constructed from multiple shapes in order to enable the variable magic to work properly.

One way to (visually) fix might be to add a Pathfinder > Add effect from the effects menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Doug, that did it, Pathfinder > Unite, then add the stroke....  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Pathfinder > Add from the Effects menu, not 'Unite' in the Pathfinder panel. Using Unite would mean you no longer have live text.

Screenshot 2021-03-15 135337.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way would be to give the text no stroke or fill and add a new stroke and fill in the Appearance panel.

Move the stroke below the fill and set the miter limit to a small value (like 2 in this example).

Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 00.23.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Tom, great feedback.  Looks great with the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines