• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text on Path disappears on original artboard when duplicated, also behaving badly

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on my colors and signet in Illustrator, and have the file saved in the Adobe Cloud. Today, to prepare some further elements that I want to use for animation, I duplicated one of my artboards. The duplicate looked ok, but the text disappeared on the original. The layer is still there. I reversed the duplication (I'm on a Mac), the text was gone and not visible when just examining paths, but the layer is there. I closed the file, reopened it and the text still did not appear. The layer was still there.

I duplicated the artboard again and got the correct version of the original artboard, with text. Again, I duplicated the copy that looked correct, and the blue field disappeared from the first copy. But now I have glyphs scattered over the workspace. And are now visible when I use the Path view. The original text is a path text. 

1. How do I fix this?

2. Why is AI so absolutely frustrating? 

Mac Specs:

MacBook Pro, Apple M1 Max, Ventura 13.4.1

running with Luna Display Secondary Screen (iMac late 2015). 

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see from the screenshots that the text from the original two signets is scattered randomly, even though the path is still there in the menu (but not in the path view). I am using version 27.7. I am pretty sure this is a bug of sorts. But then because I always get frustrated when using AI, I cannot say if this is normal behavior for this program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely not the normal behavior of Illustrator. It is a bug in the current version 27.7.

A quick workaround would be to downgrade to a lower version. But maybe the advice in the topic linked above will already help you a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the same iMac but Monterey. In the past, adobe updated the text engine, and files created in an older version of Illustrator would shift position if opened in the update. The shift was symmetrical though and not random like yours. This is why I wanted to ask was this file created in AI 27.7.

Is interesting that on Artboard 2 & 3 the type got scattered, but not on Artboards 4&5. Is there anything different about those 2 artboards?

From your post sounds like the type is still on one path. I would select the type on path on Artboards 2&3 and delete them. Then copy the element on Artboard 4, select Artboard 2 in the artboard window, and Paste in Front.  Do a save as and uncheck PDF compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. There is no difference between the artboards. I copied the first (b/w) signet so I could experiment with changes and not accidentally destroy artwork that I am happy with. By the way, although my signet is older, my artwork on this board was new. The scattering happened after duplicating the artboards. 

I copied the b/w signet into a new file, and it was ok. I will follow your suggestions and replace the strewn typography in the original file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kianho,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your text disappearing when duplicating artboards in Illustrator. Would you mind sharing a few details so we can further investigate the issue:
- Is this issue occurring with a specific file, or does it happen with all files?
- If possible, could you share the affected file with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud and share the download link with us here or via DM with me.

As mentioned by pixxxelschubser, you can also try downgrading to an older version of Illustrator to see if the issue persists. Alternatively, we can test the file at our end to see if we can replicate the issue.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anschul_Saini,

I don't like using Illustrator, so this is the first file I've created in a long time in that program. It just seemed to me to be the better alternative to Photoshop for recreating my signet as a scalable graphic in b/w and negative versions. 

It is saved to the cloud, and I'll send you a link via DM. I haven't applied pixxxelschuber's suggestions yet because I had to work on another project. 

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @kianho,

Thanks for sharing the file via DM. I've responded to you on DM with further instructions. Please check your private messages to see my reply. Please check it and provide the requested details.

Your collaboration in this process is greatly appreciated, and I'm here to assist you further.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are also experiencing this. We have noticed it in documents created in older versions and also when copying elements from those documents into those created in new versions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @DCyrusV,

I'm sorry to hear that you're facing the same issues as Kianho with your text disappearing in Illustrator.

To better understand the situation and assist you both effectively, would you mind providing some more details like:

• Is this issue happening with a specific document, or does it occur across various files?
  • If possible, would you mind sharing the affected files with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud and share the download link here or send it to me via direct message.

Having access to the file would enable us to analyze it and investigate the issue more thoroughly. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated, and we're here to help you find a solution.

Additionally, I'd like to let you know that we have recently released Illustrator version 27.8.1. It's currently available in some countries. To check if this version is available for you, please follow these steps:

• Open Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop App.
  • Navigate to the "Updates" section.
  • Click on the "Check for Updates" button.

This will prompt Creative Cloud to check for the latest updates, including Illustrator v27.8.1. If the update is available, you'll be able to install it from there.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines