• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The scripting section seems to be close to dying

Guide ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seems to be just three or four active posts per day on average, sometimes just one to two, and even these are oftentimes just bumped old posts. Scripters who were active when I started frequenting this forum during the pandemic seem to have gone for good. Those still around seem to be posting less and less.

Has ChatGPT rendered the scripting section no longer useful? Is everything that's possible with Illustrator scripting been done, and there is nothing more to add? Is it the lack of investment in Illustrator scripting?

But the main point of this post is to ask if scripters, and people looking for scripting help, have gone elsewhere? I know there is a general "Coding Corner" community, but that seems to be even less active than here.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @femkeblanco, good question! I don't have any good explanation. I'm still answering the occasional scripting question here. My last three answers were here, here and here. (Did you see notifications for these? Maybe the notification aren't getting to you?) I've been answering less than I used to, but mostly because I've been struggling to find the time.

As for ChatGPT, I use it almost every day to help me throw together little functions which (mostly) saves me time to do myself. I imagine that many users are able to get usable scripts out of it and that it will be improving all the time. Soon enough it will no longer make weird mistakes where it just invents a method call that doesn't exist! I think we've been seeing less posts of "ChatGPT wrote me a script and it doesn't work—can you help?" so maybe this is a sign that ChatGPT is getting better.

I don't know of anywhere else that is more active than here for scripting questions. But I haven't been looking, so that doesn't mean much. Stack Exchange? Reddit?

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To ask questions about scripts, Adobe users need to know about scripts in general. Also, users from different countries should know about this forum. There are communities scattered all over the web where people rarely ask each other questions about scripts.

Adobe has created an Exchange marketplace, but has done nothing to popularize scripts.

I prefer to be active in my social networks and talk about scripts there. And respond in direct messages.

Still, the forum is good as a knowledge base because search engines index it and we can use Google to find similar discussions for problem solving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Femke,

I believe the changes have an even wider range, covering everything related to the actual deliberate creation of customized specific artwork, giving way to easy generic/random solutions including automatic production of material based on reuse/reproduction/blending of elements from existing sources.

In other words, there seems to be a general change from creation of own artwork to having something made.

Apart from that, in many cases scripting can be (part of) the solution unknown to the asker, especially in connexion with repetitive work (often only stated by the asker when a customized solution is presented), so there is a number of hidden potential scripting threads which may be spotted; I try to mention (sometimes an outline of) a scripting option in such threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmh, probably you have particular expectations, Femke, but I do not see any noteworthy dwindling at the moment. Just a normal seasonal fluctuation perhaps.

As far as I can see, there are questions about scripting almost everyday (as you already mentioned). During the last year more than 600 requests for sure. That's not "close to dying", is it?

And yes, people come and people go. That's true in this forum since it exists, that is about 25 years.

Am I overlooking something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

femke, I think mark, jacob, sergey and kurt covered all points. I agree with all of them.

I think the scripting volume is about standard, I've noticed the times when we have had a lot of questions is when someone ventures to learn scripting and asks a ton of question in the process. But those users are scarce, there arent' many of them, even before ChatGPT of easy content creation tools like Express or Figma. Once they learn, they move on, the forum goes dry for a while until someone else gets curious about scripting.

I've been lurking on the young people's Discord illustrator channel for a while and haven't seen any scripting questions, so I think this forum is still king when it comes to scripting traffic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one more comment, there are users that come with "I need a script that does ABC". We're generous beings and we give it to them. They get excited and can't believe how easy it was, all you have to do is ask! they come back with another request, again they get lucky, there are a few of us willing to help. Then they think they found a gold mine and start demanding free work from us. At some point we all ignore those users, they get tired of waiting and leave. The forum goes dry for a while until the next user finds gold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos,

It is sorrowing to hear about that kind of gold digging, which is very rare in connexion with non scripting customized solutions where almost all recurring askers have presented pleasant challenges and been eager and able to elaborate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha, yes. I get loads of private messages from users asking for more, but very rarely are willing to reimburse me for my time. Sometimes I am basically "hounded" for free work!

But I just leave those quietly sitting in my inbox, unanswered unless it suits me. I enjoy scripting, so I do it anyway when I have time, and of course I prefer the fun scripts to the boring scripts. I am happy to be paid for them sometimes, too! 🙂

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you Mark, I don't mind writing script and give them away, but time is limited I have to pick and choose the ones that won't take me too much time.

now, researching trying to find a solution that seems impossible, that's my thing, I can't stay away from those Lollll, I spent too much time on trial and errors to come up empty handed most of the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlos, "trying to find a solution that seems impossible", and no less a solution that someone declares impossible, is also hard to resist for me, albeit in the area of customized specific artwork made by drawing rather than scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

those are the most fun Jacob 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Indeed, Carlos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe everyone on this Discord channel knows how to find scripts on the Internet and write with ChatGPT? Just kidding, more likely many users haven't even heard of scripts, plugins.

I thought about doing YouTube Shorts about other authors' scripts in addition to my own. But 60-second video take a hell of a lot of time to find good vector graphics to demonstrate the script and to record. And there are so many unfinished projects paid for by customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, same problem here, it's hard to find/make good graphics to demo the script.

your demos are great by the way. I loved them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines