• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

thin white lines in illustrator export (or import illustrator artwork into photoshop)

Explorer ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi guys

when i export an artwork in illustrator (export for screens) i get very thin white lines in the artwork.

illustrator export.jpg

the same lines appear when i copy paste the art from illu to photoshop.

photoshop export.jpg

 i guess it has something to do with resolution and pixels but i cannot fix it. i know i can place same-colored backgrounds but i want to avoid this unnecessary work and also, the lines would probably persist between the different backgrounds. that would work if your art has only one color but not if there are many different colors. 

the only way so far is to convert the art in illustrator to an pixel-image and then copy it to photoshop. but this solution is also not satisfactory.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

When you export, do you use Art Optimized Anti-aliasing?

You can also apply a non destructive Rasterize Effect in Illustrator with anti-aliasing turned off before copy-paste into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are anti-aliasing issues.

Are the artboards and the artwork aligned to the pixel grid exactly?

And you do not resample when exporting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your answer. well no, the artwork is not perfectly alignet to pixel grid.
when its perfectly alignet then the issue is not visible in illustrator:

Bildschirm­foto 2024-01-25 um 16.03.49.png

illustrator export.jpg

but it is still visible in photoshop:

Bildschirm­foto 2024-01-25 um 16.05.05.png

the issue is still visible in illustrator and photoshop when i use non-pixel-perfect shapes such as for example this triangles. then i still see some of the lines. not all but some of them.
illustrator: 

illustrator export triangles.jpg

photoshop:

psd export triangles.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry for the bad screenshots they barley show the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah now they do 🙂 nevermind the screenshots are ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is how antialiasing works. What are you planning to do with them in Photoshop? Antialiasing is not needed for them, so how about turning it off for scaling?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can i turn it off for illustrator export and how do i turn it off when copy something from illustrator to photoshop? i use it a lot for copying stuff from ai to psd, but mostly single-colored things where this issue does not exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you export, do you use Art Optimized Anti-aliasing?

You can also apply a non destructive Rasterize Effect in Illustrator with anti-aliasing turned off before copy-paste into Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well that is the topic of this thread - how do you do that? 🙂 i don't because i never head about this function

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the export for screens window, you see a little cogwheel that you can click to change the settings.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 16.54.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you, i did not know about this settting, its also barley small 🙂 well it works for png but not for jpg. and the problem still persists when i copy stuff from ai to psd. i guess there is no solution for that? i find it quiet strange that in 2024 we are not able to copy art from ai to psd without loss of qualit, is it really like that? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps: what kind of non-destructive rasterize effect are you talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah i found it, its called ,convert to pixel image' in german, and that works fine also when copy stuff to photoshop. well thanks a lot, thats what i was looking for! have a nice day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is a description on how to use the raster effect as a graphic style:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/pixel-grid-work-flow-question/m-p/14371847#M3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines