• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparency issues when exporting

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got an issue saving illustration mixing the 3D effect and different transparency parameters.

Here is shown a small example of what I am doing:

I draw two objects and group them, the object in the middle is blue without any transparency. The other is red with a 50% transparency.

Forme de base.png

Then I extrude them using the 3D effect. This is what I see on my Illustrator workspace (and what I want to achieve):

The two object are well placed and the different superposition of the 3D is respected.

AI.PNG

Then I export them into a PNG file and this is what I end up with:

The transparency isn't present anymore and all the superposition are reduced to a uniform color.

Sans titre - 1.png

Does any one have any solution? It seems to be a problem on exportation parameters.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use the overprint preview in Illustrator?

Is the outher shape set to multiply?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that with the settings you've used, Illustrator is unable to replicate what it's producing. I've tried making a pdf, placing into InDesign, exporting to .psd, and each time it can't replicate what it's showing in Illustrator. I know it's using transparency settings to achieve what we're seeing, but it's having trouble rendering it out. Short term, my best solution since your trying to export to .png, would be to just take a screen shot of it. It's definitely very strange that it can't maintain what we're seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would normally suggest expand appearance or rasterize, but that does nto work here. 3D extrude is  buggy in Illustrator.

Since you like what is on screen, zooming in and taking a screenshot, might be an option? Or expand appearance to get the shapes and recolor them to what you need top also get the transparency if needed. While my suggestions might be the solution you  you are looking for, they might be your best options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it have to be transparent in the png, or just keep the effect of looking transparent?  What if you draw a solid white background behind your object?  Then it would maybe export solid, but appear the way you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this

1. Select your 3d object

2. Go to File, Export selection

3. Click on the little gear and under the background color choose Transparent and save settings

4 Export asset

5. Done, your file must be transparent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue, it's very frustrating! The sketch looks great in Illustrator, I have many opaque boxes extruded within a layer of layer of 15% opacity of the same thickness, but when it comes to exporting to PNG, no matter what settings are applied, the layer comes out as one opaque block... not at all the design I'm going for. I'm working on a windows machine if that helps. I will likely have to result to the result Chad Chelius recommended, sadly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check Draw Hidden Faces in the More options for the 3D effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've hit a possible cause for the bug.

Can't reproduce it though (scarce on time at the moment), and I haven't yet figured out how to make it misbehave consistently (unfortunately, that's what bugs are allowed to...)

But as I was looking at your design and editing description, I noticed that in order to keep the blue element appear within the transparant box, you rightfully needed them to be grouped, otherwise the receding part of the blue box can't be overlapped by the transparant red, while keeping its frontmost line black. But as I was testing some non-grouped elements (as well with transparencies), everything exports okay !

So it's not a total incapacity of the PNG or JPEG algorithms to deal with transparency in objects with 3D effects. It must have something to do with the grouping, that triggers this odd behaviour...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried ungrouping with this exact issue and it appears to have worked. Hello, person from the past! Thank you for the suggestion. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines