• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to color vector and it will not let me add no color to the center of the letter.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see in the image below with the letter "A", the inside of the A is set to color of "none" and it will not change, I tried rearranging and sending to back but no luck. How do I change the color to none so it take the color of its background? 

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Thank you for the reply! This did work somewhat. Some of the letters are closing off but others are not with the color fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are doing will not work.

Your counter (the inside of the A) needs to be a compound path with the outside. Somewhere along the way you've broken that.

To fix, select both the outside and inside paths and "Object > Compound Path > Make Compound"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply! This did work somewhat. Some of the letters are closing off but others are not with the color fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read up on Compound paths in Illustrator. Sometimes, even if you make the paths compound, the counter still doesn't knock out. This is due to direction each path is drawn: when such a path is drawn, like the letter "e" in my attached sample, the path starts at one point and then is drawn in one direction, either clockwise or counterclockwise and back to the starting point. For a counter to knock out, that path needs to be drawn in the opposite direction. Sometimes when a collection of letters is accidentally uncompounded, like yours, these directions can get mixed up.

Open up your Attributes panel and select one of the problematic inside paths with the Direct Select Tool and change the direction (indicated in green).

I'm curious how you got to this point anyway. Normally when a text object is made into outlines, it's already properly compounded; what did you do after that?

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 9.11.51 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad, this worked perfect thanks for the help. The reason I had this problem was because the text image was drawn in a different software and exported as an SVG. My guess is some of these problem occured in the process of that. I was able to reverse the direction of the path and the counters filled in as they should

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad it helped you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines