• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to make a soft edged black frame.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This must be so simple but it's eluding me.  Can someone please point me in the right direction, in terms of how best to achieve this?

Presently I have a black rectangle the size of my artboard.  There is a slightly smaller white rectangle on top, feathered.  I thought maybe I could combine these to make the white area transparrent and export with transparrency to use it as a soft edged mask in a media server.

I'm fine with exporting, but I'm struggling to combine the black and the white shape as one, to make the white area punch out.  I have been trying to use a knockout group but I think I misunderstood how this worked.

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

You could try to select both rectangles, white on top, and click Make Mask in the Opacity panel.

Clip unchecked, Invert Mask checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try to select both rectangles, white on top, and click Make Mask in the Opacity panel.

Clip unchecked, Invert Mask checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to have worked perfectly, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Philip,

My (mis)understanding your question is slightly different to that of Ton (soft edged mask), so I believe in these steps:

1) Set the Object>Blend>Blend Options>Spacing to Smooth or a sufficient number of Specified Steps to get a smooth transition from transparent to (solid) black,

2) Select the two rectangles and Object>Blend>Make,

3) Create the (Opacity) Mask as Ton said.

Edit: My (mis)understanding your question was a misunderstanding indeed, see below..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another excellent solution, thank you.  I will experiment with both techniques.  Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Philip, I just realized my overlooking your having a feathered white rectangle, my wrongly assuming an underlying artwork, and my misreading the answer from Ton, so my suggestion above makes no sense.

Just go with the exquisite solution by Ton.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines