Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to edit AI file

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm new to AI and have been creating a logo on the program. Everything was going smoothly until my image turned white with lines. I googled this and switched off outline mode which returned the image to its original colour however, I've not been able to make any edits since. I'm not able to add any layers, move anything, copy anything, no editing at all. There's no options available to unlock selections and when I look at my layers, the image I've created isn't there. I've searched Google with no answers on how to undo or fix this. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how I can fix this? 🤞

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you switch back to Outline mode - do you see your art?

Can you share a screenshot of your art in outline mode incl the workspace?

If I were to guess it could be that your computer is not very powerful so AI automatically switched you to Outline mode when you added a style or process that exceeded its ability to show the results in Preview Mode.

Does your computer meet the minimum requirements?

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/system-requirements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response 😊

When I switch back to outline mode it's back to white with outlines, still unable to edit. Removing outline, the image itself looks exactly how it's intended but I just can't edit anything.

My laptop is brand new with high spec graphics card, ram and memory, it's designed for this type of work. I also have 4 new files I'm creating in AI that are working fine, no problems at all. I'm baffled by it. It's as if I've clicked something by accident on this particular file and I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show a screenshot of your workspace with the layers panel open and layers/groups expanded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

miss27496069q4wh_0-1670577243737.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're in an opacity mask. Open the transparency panel (Window > Transparency) and click here:

DougARoberts_0-1670577410751.png

Or perhaps 'release mask' if you didn't intend to create one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines