Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open very old Freehand / Illustrator Files

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm unable to open some important old vector files that I have dating back to around 2001. They would have been generated in Freehand but are showing with an Illustrator Icon. I've tried adding the .ai suffix but that hasn't helped. I've also tried File > Open without any luck either. No joy with any other adobe cc programs either. Does anyone have a fix for this ?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry folks, I inadertantly posted this using an old user account. I've reposted the same post under anaru.wilson@me.com.

If anyone has can help please reply to that post as I will get notified. Thanks.

Adobe, can you take this post down please 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be able to open the very old Freehand files if you have Illustrator CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Illustrator CS6 doesn't have the import filter anymore. Illustrator CS5 was the last version that had.

Using it, you could open FreeHand files version 7 to version 11

Older files could be opened using FreeHand version CS2.

If you don't have those versions and you also don't have someone that can open these files, the tensai plugin might be an option. https://tensai.co.uk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open one of the files in a text editor. If the content is readable text PostScript starting with %!PS-Adobe-X.X EPSF-X.X then what you have is a Freehand EPS file. These can be opened in Illustrator, but add .EPS extension to the file name instead of .AI and it should be properly recognized.

Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 1.03.51 AM.png

 

IF however you see more code-like stuff, usually starting with a Mac creator/type code such as AGD1, then you have a native Freehand file. Illustrator dropped the import filter for native Freehand files quite some time ago, in fact I believe it was gone well before CS6 (EDIT: it was there up to CS3, not sure about CS4 as I never had that version, but it was definitely gone in CS5 and up)

I'm actually working on a conversion project right now with many old Freehand files... if you'd like me to take a look at them, and maybe convert them for you, send me a PM.

-Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have sent a PM, thanks Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The one thing to note is that Freehand wrote very crude EPS files back in the early days, so even if you open them in Illustrator, you will need to do "some work" to tweak things back into line, especially with gradients. Converting a native Freehand file to Illustrator handled this much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines