• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ungroup Offset Path is disappearing

Explorer ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i have been following a tutorial where for a text effect . However after converting the text to outlines and uniting . When i create a offset path then ungroup it from the outlined text the offset path just disappears . I've spoke to adobe live chat 45 minutes of time wasted . Paste Remembers layers is also not selected .Using cc2018

Could anyone please help thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

The difference between the tutorial and what you're doing is that you're using Effect > Offset Path, which produces a "live" effect that is dependent upon a connection to the original path(s). To Ungroup and edit as you describe, you have 2 options:

1. Before choosing Object > Ungroup, choose Object Expand Appearance. This will break the live effect and allow you to Ungroup and continue per the tutorial.
  2. In the first place, instead of choosing Effect > Offset Path, choose Object > Path > Offset Path.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post screenshots of what you have.

Please include the contents of the layers panel in this.

And please describe this step by step, so we can clearly understand what you have done, what you are trying to do and what exactly does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying . I'm trying to create a text effect i watched several different tutorials on .

First i type the text . Then i select the text and create outlines .I then Unite(create compound shape) the created outlines in the pathfinder panel .   All works perfect .

I then go to effect / path / offset path .

The path is there however connected to the text that i had previously created outlines with .

So i click ungroup and then the offset path vanishes .When the offset path should stay .offset path.PNG

I'm a beginner to illustrator but i have watched several tutorials over and over again for the last 2 days it never happens on there's really not sure what is causing this i have attached 2 screenshots off the layer panel before and after.offset path after ungroup.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference between the tutorial and what you're doing is that you're using Effect > Offset Path, which produces a "live" effect that is dependent upon a connection to the original path(s). To Ungroup and edit as you describe, you have 2 options:

1. Before choosing Object > Ungroup, choose Object Expand Appearance. This will break the live effect and allow you to Ungroup and continue per the tutorial.
  2. In the first place, instead of choosing Effect > Offset Path, choose Object > Path > Offset Path. This will produce the same result without the trapping of a live effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additional to that what John Mensinger​ said:

You applied the Offset Path effect directly to the group item. It is logical - if the group item doesn't exist any longer (because ungroup) the effect of the group item also doesn't exists any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you it works perfect now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to offset the path by changing your approach?

-Take your text and create outlines

-Don't unite anything, yet. Go to offset your path first.

-Your offset elements should be highlighted, now apply "unite" to them.

-You can then select your original outlined text and united offset path and ungroup them from each other.

What result do you get now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i get the same result from this way aswell .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines