• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird artifact on outlined text

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to get my illustrator prepared for a laser cutter. The laser demands that any cut lines be 100% rgb red and .001.

First I placed a text symbol with the text tool then created outlines. Then removed the compound path. Then gave it a 1 pt rgb red stroke. So far...looks good.

Then I set the stroke to .001pt as required by the laser cutter. Suddenly I am getting weird light red (not really pink but say 50% opacity red) artifacts along the path. When I send it to the laser cutter, these appear as rasters, not vectors.

I have Illustrator 2024 on a Mac, but this also happened on a pc with Illustrator 2022. I recreated the same steps on the laser lab computer and it worked fine, but disappointingly it didn't have the font I really wanted to use.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2024 Aug 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also able to reproduce it (Illustrator 2024, Mac).
However, as I was experimenting with different line thicknesses and colors, the bug stopped happening.
It looks like a really bug to me.

Uske_S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it disappears even for a .25pt line, it's just the .001pt line that has the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it look better in View > Preview on CPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but it still come out as a raster image on the laser cutter print app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gregory30460519yxmc

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing. I tried to replicate the issue but wasn't successful. Could you please provide a few more details to help us troubleshoot?

• The exact version of Illustrator and your operating system
  • When this issue started occurring, and whether it began after a recent update.

Additionally, if you could share a sample file, it would greatly assist us in replicating the issue and finding a solution.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti

this is a typical issue of GPU preview. Most important here would be the information about the graphic card and the driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only started being an issue when I started learning how to use a universal letter cutter. The protocol for vectors that demark a cut (as opposed to a raster which is for engraving) is that the line has to be .001pt. 

I'm using Illustrator 2.85 on an iMac.

The maker lab where the laser cutter is has Illustrator 2022 and I can use the same settings to create a cut out and it sends the image to the laser cutter app just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only started being an issue when I started learning how to use a universal letter cutter. The protocol for vectors that demark a cut (as opposed to a raster which is for engraving) is that the line has to be .001pt. 

I'm using Illustrator 2.85 on an iMac.

The maker lab where the laser cutter is has Illustrator 2022 and I can use the same settings to create a cut out and it sends the image to the laser cutter app just fine.

I don't know what graphic card is in my iMac. How would I find out? Also, yes when viewed as CPU the image looks great but it still sends a raster to the laser cutter (which tells the laser to engrave) and I need the laser cutter to cut. On the laser cutter any stroke greater than .001pt will result in a raster of the line rather than. I wonder if it has to do with how the path of the text is outlined. I haven't had a problem with shapes I draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does it look OK in View > CPU preview?

If so, then this is nothing you need to worry about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines