Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird cutout in shape, What is it?

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

This is my first time posting in a forum but I cant seem to find an answer to my problem. Every now and then after I merge an almost final illustration, I get these weird traingle shaped cutouts through my shapes. There is no path or anchor points to clean up the shape. I found a solution by just pen tooling over the cutout and uniting the objects to fill the shape back in but its really slowing down my work flow and sometimes the little cutout is in a complicated area so its a lot of extra work. Does anyone know what this could be? Maybe something with the gpu setup? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-in the attached picture you can see there is no anchor points or even a path where the cutout is. Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 3.10.05 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often happens with thick strokes when anchor points are not precisely set.

It would help if you could show us before flattening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! I definitely use thick strokes, but  what do you mean about anchor points not being precisly set? Just when there is a lot of them concentrated in one area? Here are the paths before I merged Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 3.37.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With unprecise anchors I'm referring to all those anchors on your path. Waaaayyyyy too many of them. And maybe some of them corner points although they should rather be smooth points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So its just getting overloaded? When using a font like this there are a ton of anchor points by default so Im not sure what I could do about that. And the cutout thing isnt really coming off of the text, its more off of the border cutting though the fill of the background. Thanks for your help again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not exactly overloaded, it's just that the stroke gets thrown off. Looks like there is or has been a stroke applied to the text (offset path would do the same as a stroke)

You will have to clean up the anchor points. Either with Object > Path > Simplify or with the plugin VectorScribe resp InkScribe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a work-around that might work for you, instead of applying a large outside aligned stroke to your outlined type, keep the type live, select and copy the live type to your clipboard (edit> copy), apply the twice the desired stroke width to your live type (strokes on live type can only be center aligned), then paste-in-place the original type. The result will have the same appearance of your method, but the path defects should be gone (hopefully). Group the two elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Luke+Jennings  schrieb

Here is a work-around that might work for you, instead of applying a large outside aligned stroke to your outlined type, keep the type live, select and copy the live type to your clipboard (edit> copy), apply the twice the desired stroke width to your live type (strokes on live type can only be center aligned), then paste-in-place the original type. The result will have the same appearance of your method, but the path defects should be gone (hopefully). Group the two elements.

Usually this does not work. The anchor points of course are also in the live type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe the process of outlining type increases the number of anchor points. At any rate, I have used this method in the past successfully, however I can't guarantee it will work every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines