• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What code formatting extensions are recommended for editing ExtendScript in VSCode?

LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Beautify but it is no longer maintained.
Other options are ESLint and Prettier. Don't know if they recognize ExtendScript.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i use the standard formatter baked into vscode. that has done just fine for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Prettier, and it seems to do OK with ExtendScript.

There's some VSCode tooling set-up recommendations in this blog post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are at least 17 "Prettier" extensions in the VSCode library and more than one that says it's for "Javascript". Which one should be installed? These are my top 3 guesses:

• Prettier - Code formatter v9.5.0
  • Prettier - JavaScript formatter v0.17.101
  • Prettier - JavaScript formatter v0.22.1

Also, the blog post from 2019 referenced "Adobe Code Runner". Is that still a useful extention with the updates to "ExtendScript Debugger" extension?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, the blog post from 2019 referenced "Adobe Code Runner". Is that still a useful extention with the updates to "ExtendScript Debugger" extension?

By @rcraighead

The Adobe Code Runner (ACR) is largely redundant if you already use the updated ExtendScript Debugger (ESD). ACR uses a different mechanism to trigger code evaluation in a host application, which is why it only supports select applications. Depending upon your setup, ACR may also require "less typing" than ESD (though there are ways to mitigate this in the latter with proper configuration).

If you don't already use ACR, I'd suggest seeing how far you can get with ESD before giving it a go. If ESD's script running capabilities don't work as you'd expect then you might give ACR a shot 🙂

(For clarity, I'm the person who developed the recent v2 release of ESD.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines