• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are my files so huge?

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue that I'd like some help on please, and I am VERY unfamiliar with AI so bear with me.  I am trying to send a client 2 different templates or die lines for the layout of a booklet.  They're both saved as PDF's.  There are a few thin lines and a very small amount of text on both of them.  One though is a whopping 11MB while the other is a scant 68kb.  They are nearly identical and even when I downsized the larger one it only reduced to 5.9MB.  Can anyone suggest how I might get the larger one down into the 60 - 100kb range as it ought to be?  There is ZERO artwork, background or anything else; just lines and a bit of text (Front cover, Back cover..etc)  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you save your files?

Which version of Illustrator is this?

Which system?

Which options when you save the files?

Are you sure about the contents of the files? No raster images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved in a folder on my Mac

CS3

Mac OS X El Capitan

No clue on options, I just hit "Save"

I don't know what a raster image is.  They are very, very simple die lines that designers use to apply their layout onto.  They could hardly be simpler.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the die lines were drawn in Illustrator using Illustrator's drawing tools, your pdf file size should be very small. Since the file size is large, I suspect that the lines were not drawn in Illustrator or else they are "raster".  Since die lines are straight, it may be difficult for you to determine if they are raster. Try zooming in very closely on the end of the lines. If you see little squares, you're probably dealing with raster lines.

If the end is smooth and crisp, it is probably vector. Vector will give you a smaller file size.

Let me know what you find. Based on that, I'll make further suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zoomed way in (4800%) and saw this:

Screen Shot 2017-11-10 at 1.45.34 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just as suspected, it is raster. What needs to be done is to re-draw the lines. You can use the Line tool in Illustrator to draw and draw a line. If you hold down Shift, your line will be constrained to specific angles, making it easier to draw straight lines.

However, since the line you show in the screen capture consists of 2 line segments, it would be better to draw with the Pen tool.

Select the pen and click where you want to start the line. You will see a single anchor point. Release the mouse. Move the pen to where the line changes direction and click again. When you are finished drawing the line, you can end it by hitting ESC key or clicking on another tool in the Tools panel. Do not drag, even the tiniest bit, when you are clicking. If you do, you will get a curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines