• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is there no crop button ?

Explorer ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't understand why there is no crop button . What is the reason for this ? Also which is the best way to crop please .

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few functions that are called 'crop' / that could serve as 'crop' in Illustrator depending on exactly what it is you are trying to achieve. What content are you trying to crop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example i have tree i only want part of that tree to go the logo . I just want to be able to crop like photoshop / gimp or even paint . Illustrator just constantly seems you have to work around simple things to make you buy photoshop aswell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the tree created in Illustrator? Is it vector content?

Illustrator and Photoshop and different programs for different purposes. Believe it or not, most people who work in graphics buy and use both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes of course it's vector otherwise i would just use the crop that allows you to crop images . It's not just me complaining check every single forum or youtube video . I just wanted some help not a shill . I have both however i only need vectors and should not even need photoshop .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to actively remove unwanted content, or just have it hidden in your end result?

For the former: it's possible that the crop function in the Pathfinder panel will do what you want.

For the latter: you might just need to scale the artboard, or add a clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thank you i will try this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks bro just watched a video on clipping masks makes a lot more sense now just so frustrating for me learning all the differences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamess25035340  schrieb

Yes of course it's vector otherwise i would just use the crop that allows you to crop images .

Use a clipping mask.

Cropping vector artwork might get really complicated when strokes, brushes or gradient mesh ist part of the artwork. If you want to do it: CorelDraw has a crop function.

If you want this in Illustrator, please make a feature request over there: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try Coral draw . I really don't understand a company as big as Abobe cannot add such a simple function . Or a simply crop/cut tool that would just cut and delete the excess strokes etc outside of the crop/cut .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jamess25035340  schrieb

I really don't understand a company as big as Abobe cannot add such a simple function .

As I said: it is NOT a simple function with vecto artwork. When cropping though brushes, strokes, gradient meshes, envelopes, effects, gradients, opacity masks and much more, things will get really awful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James,

Aleays create/save a copy of the artwork before destroying it.

For a logo it makes sense to get rid of outlying invisible bits, of course.

You may try to select the path you would otherwise use as a Clipping Path on top of the tree and Object>Path>Divide Objects Below and see whether the artwork is simple enough to make it work.

Otherwise, you can create the Clipping Mask, then try Object>Flatten Transparency with Raster/Vector Balance set to 100% (vector), you may need to outline strokes and maybe more, and try with different settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James, dont get upset bud. I assure you there are many more reasons NOT to crop vector artwork. A clipping path is the way to go for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James

If you are still having problems you could show screen shots of the tree you are trying change,, selected with the layers panel open.

Or you can share the Illustrator file by uploading it to Google drive, Dropbox, Adobe Cloud etc and giving the link here

If you didn't make the tree yourself it is possible it could have locked parts etc and is more complicated construction marking things difficult..

All vector software has steep learning curves!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely use the clipping mask as everyone here indicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit the artboard size or with the Artboard Toll.
You can also use the Clipping Mask.
I'm with you if Adobe add the preview option to Illustrator like InDesign, it will be so good!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could try using the eraser tool. But keep a copy your original so you can revert back if necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines