Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wondering about the best approach for applying elevation color layers in maps

Participant ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I'm newish to Illustrator and am wondering about the best approach for applying color layers for the different elevations in maps. I've attached two screenshots: the first is an example of what I want to do (from https://gisgeography.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/US-Elevation-Map.jpg), showing the US Northwest; the second is my map in progress, with a few labels and the colors exaggerated for illustration purposes.

Here's what I've done so far:

-- Added the contour lines (the thin brown lines).

-- Connected the lines off the map so that I could then create a full shape that I could fill with a color. For example, Line X is above (outside) the map, and it connects the contour lines on the left and right sides of Shape C so that I could fill Shape C with the green color. The problem is that Shape A, which is supposed to be the same color as Shape B because they're the same elevation, is now a different color because the colors are all set at 50% opacity. (I'll probably eventually go with 10% opacity: I want the colors to be very subtle.)

So this brings up a few questions:

-- Rather than using 50% opacity, should I just make the colors themselves more pale, so that I could then set them at 100% opacity? That way, Shapes A and B would look the same, since you wouldn't see the color from Shape C underneath A.

-- I think I just answered my own question, but I would appreciate hearing back from someone who knows about this stuff. For instance, should I be using masks or something like that? I don't know how to use those yet, but I could learn.

-- So if I do go with pale, 100% opaque colors, then I'm thinking I would set the layers up so that the lowest elevation would be on the bottom layer in Illustrator, with the higher elevations subsequently hiding the ones below. And then I would have all the contour lines, roads, trails, etc. on top of those layers (which I already have set up in layers). Does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-- Bill

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a follow-up, if I do decide to make the colors more pale and 100% opaque, could someone suggest an easy way to do that consistently? I'm just learning about color swatches and libraries, so some guideance would be much appreciated.

-- Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would probably create a single global colour swatch, and use various tints of it for the levels. That way if you change your mind, you can change everything at once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! I will wait to see if anyone else chimes in, and then I'll investigate that option. At the moment I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I will investigate. Thanks!

-- Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are tints of the same swatch at 100% opacity:

Screenshot 2021-12-09 160008.png

If I want to change them, I edit the global swatch definition.

Screenshot 2021-12-09 160037.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, I see, very cool -- thanks!

-- Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines