• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with Symbols

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to work a little with Symbols. There has to be a way to edit the contents of a symbol. I am not seeing it. Everywhere I go it seems to dead end with only being able to create or delete instances of a symbol, what am I missing here?

Particularly, to start of simply, I am trying to hide and show layers inside of a symbol object. It seems there would be something, maybe even a reference to a new document or something.

Any help would be appreciated.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a way to edit symbols in the GUI but not in scripting. Your only recourse is to make a symbol with each possibility and name them so you can keep track of which one you want to use in which instance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is what I was afraid of. Sounds like I need to make it a plug-in instead of an extension. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about:

1 duplicate an instance to new document, this also duplicate the symbol

2 remove the symbol so instance become editable objects

3 edit it and re-create the symbol

4 copy back to origin document and replace the symbol (everySymbolItem.symbol = newSymbol)

5 close new document, remove origin symbol, rename to origin name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That would work, but I don't know how long that would take. If I have to run through 100 symbols to change layer states would that take too long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines