Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot move selected objects in Illustrator

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2013 Oct 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator CS5.5.

I cannot move anything I select. I try to drag it and it makes the "bump" noise. 

-I made sure that my preferences are not set to "object selection by path only".

-I've restarted my computer several times

-I tried to open a previous Illustrator file and I have the same problem

-I even uninstalled and reinstalled my entire Abode Suite beacuse I've been having several issues

I'm not sure if this is related but I also can't create a new document unless I use picas and CMYK coloring. It refuses to adjust to anything other than the default settings. Also, I can't increase the stroke of an object unless I type in the number, meaning I can't use the arrows for adjustment.

So basically I am having a ton of problems and even reinstalling the program didn't fix them.

Help please.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

@ramis85927975 is correct the temporary fix is to hover with your cursor over the center of the object (blue tiny square) and then click drag. It's almost like the mouse doesn't pick up the pixels of the image.

I've also tried all the other suggestions and this is all that is working for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okkay, i was found the sollution. The Problem is the Computer performance. About Multitasking, or you need to close other apps, and restart Adobe Ilustrator. If you open Photoshop and Ilustrator at the same time, and Photoshop take 75% RAM, please setup RAM use so Photoshop and Ilustrator have a Balance Condition. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just came to the same realization myself. I spent a lot of time combing through every setting in Illustrator to no avail. This is the 4th time in 2 months this has happened. I found that closing Illustrator, and then closing other competing programs like Photoshop and Creative Cloud Desktop, the issue was fixed. Once I restarted Illustrator the problem was gone. Enable/Disabling the "Use Precise Cursors" "Object Selection by Path Only" "Control Click to Select Objects Behind" prefrences did infact help. I'm not sure if keeping one on and some off or vice versa helped fix it, but it has helped in times past so I felt I should mention it. Very frustrating problem, but glad we're almost there to finding the final solution. Thanks to everyone in the thread for their help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2021 Apr 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A better solution...

The temp Hover method did not work for me.

I did something elese.

1. Draw a window around the item to select it.

2. Go to your layer pallet.

3. In the pallet header far right, click the menue bars under the X tonclose the pallet.

4. Go down to the "Release to Lauers (build), and click it.

Now you can drag the selected item. But you have to grab it by the highlighted border frame (not the nodes).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines