• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change colour of grain effect in Illustrator.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2016 Jul 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I wanted to add a coloured grain effect to a shape in Illustrator, and followed some online tutorials - adding a base fill, and adding a new fill as a gradient of desired colour and white, then applying grain effect on the gradient, and changing the mode to multiply. But however I do it, I get only a black grain effect, black stipples above the solid colour below. Hope someone can be of help in the matter. Thnak you!    

col grad.PNGcol grad 1.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

If it's just a white gradient over the base colour that you need, try changing the blending mode of it to Screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a linkto the tutorial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might need a different Grain type

Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-21 um 17.07.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I too get a coloured grain with the soft (weich) selected. Thank you!  But not with "stippled". It becomes too grainy with effects other than the "stippled" and other colours too interfere the grain as seen in the above picture.. I need to obtain the grain effect for a sunbeam. So what I require is a stippled white grain with transparent base. I'm too grateful for your help. Hope you could assist me further..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's just a white gradient over the base colour that you need, try changing the blending mode of it to Screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Danny. I think I got the effect almost with the screen mode! Though it looks a bit shiny the effect's nearly achieved. It'll do good as of now. I'll inform you if I could find a better method of achieving it by means of texture or somehow.. And thanks to Monika, and Jeff too, for the answers above.. col grad 5.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Appearance panel, try lowering the Opacity of the Grain Fill. This will make it less black and more of a mixture with the bottom Fill Color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff! I did get quite a similar effect as per your advice. Thank you for your effort! col grad 4.PNG

But what I require is bigger, solid (perfectly opaque) stipples. Or should I go ahead with textures to get it right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

* perfectly opaque in the sense, the grain particles should be opaque, but the base should still be transparent..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some things just can't be achieved with this.

You might need to create the structure in Photoshop. Or maybe create it in black and white, then trace it in Illustrator and color it.

Or make in black and white, expand the effect (so it becomes a raster image) and then colorize that and overlay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika! You mean the Image trace and Expand options right? Yeah I should try that.. However I'll add below, a sample to the effect I would like to recreate. Any better suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thank you.sunshine.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change the color of the stippling, you should use a transparency mask.

Copy the object you want to apply it to, ctrl+f to paste in front. Change the fill color to whatever color you want the stippling to be.

Then make a transparency mask, click invert mask, and draw a black/white gradient rectangle. change the angle of the gradient until you get the result you like.

Add the stippled grain effect to the rectangle in the transparency mask. You can still change the color of the stippling at any time by changing the fill of the object. Play around with screen or multiply blending modes and the opacity to make it look the way you'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much for the solution 

I have pricticed and it worked , I still need some more practice . Thanks agian

This is my beautiful brown rectangle with Spatter Effect form Effect Galery and it is giving me a transparent backgruon (with I can see the pink through it and not white). 

FashionArtist_0-1600216826522.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines