• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colour objects based on 'mask' shape

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I want to colour objects on a city scale drawing, where I need to specify the colour of the buildings per neighbourhood. In Photoshop, I would select the building layer and use a mask on a colour filled layer. Is there such a workflow for illustrator too (one that does not involve using the pathfinder, since that'll be too heavy given the tens of thousand of objects)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you can create a shape of the neighbourhood an fill it with black or white, you can put it on top of a rectangle filled with color.

Select both and click Make Mask in the Transparency panel. You will need to check or uncheck the Clip / Invert Mask options, depending on the fill of the mask shape. 

That creates a flat color. You may want to experiment with opacity setting and / or blend modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines