Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert area in between paths in shape to fill in with gradiant

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've made a shape with the Pen and Ellipse tools. Essentially my shape is composed of lines and circles. Three circles of different shapes lying on each other and four lines separating the circles.

I would like to make each empty/background area independent from one another in order to be able to fill them with gradients independently. As a result I would end up with 3x8 shapes.

I believe there is a way to convert the inter area of different paths into one solid shape. Perhaps that would be the approach.

Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 20.32.25.jpg

Below is the outline view.

Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 20.32.34.jpg

Thank you !

PS. How can I make sure my horizontal and vertical crosshair is actually perfect?

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

This is a job for Live Paint. Select All, and from the menu, Object > Live Paint >Make

You will then be able to use the Live Paint Bucket to fill all of the areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a job for Live Paint. Select All, and from the menu, Object > Live Paint >Make

You will then be able to use the Live Paint Bucket to fill all of the areas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can select all and click Divide in the Pathfinder Panel and Ungroup the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both options are excellent ideas and will work. Just depends on whether you have a need to keep the circle intact. If so, use Live Trace. If not, you can use the Divide option if you prefer. It will however, result in more anchor points in your file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys

Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes, I would like to keep the circle intact in fact.

So how would I use the Live Trace with Live Paint? Or must I use Live Trace only with the Pathfinder?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think michel made a typo there, because live trace shouldn't be relevant here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines