Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

crashes when saving

Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So a few times now I have gone to save a document and illustrator cs6 64 bit crashes. It doesn't outright close, but it stops responding to windows and all of the pallate windows and main window begin to flash black and then back to regular.

I've never seen anything like this in any other version of illustrator before and am kind of feeling like a sucker for shelling out 6 hundred dollars for it.

I run windows 8 on this computer and am worried that it just incompatible for the os. So I have begun to run the program in windows 7 compatability mode. For the last 20 minutes it hasn't crashed out, but I've only saved two documents and this error has only happend three times in a month of using the application, though two of those times were within an hour of each other today.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe that each file it has happend on is also one that I had just saved for web.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue?

I found as much of a crash log as I can in this new os but it reads as follows:

The program Illustrator.exe version 16.0.3.691 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: 1110

Start Time: 01cdd7e0adea99a9

Termination Time: 322

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS6 (64 Bit)\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe

Report Id: 9856d88b-43df-11e2-be73-10bf48b5fe20

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm not really very familiar with the action center control panel but I couldn't find any additional information there. Im going to see if I can get someone on the windows forum to help me further with the action center so I might have more data soon.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using OS 10.7.5 and getting the same issue. I'm not 100% sure but I'm saving a .png or .eps (usually .eps) and the program stops responding. It's frusturating too since Illustrator doesn't have a document recovery feature. I can usually save a .jpg (though I've had this problem a lot and I'm not sure if I just don't remember)

Now I keep my os up to date and update every time Il has something. I too can't find cause or solutoin. But I do know it's not just a windows thing now.

Now I'm on a company computer so I don't have the ability to do a reinstall but I'm going to have our IT guys do that for me and see how it works out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you saving the file?

Is the printer connected? Printer driver up to date?

Fonts OK?

Are you using a font manager?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm saving to different locations. Sometimes my desktop, other times in the folder with the native .ai file, and on occasion a new folder location.

I am connected to a printer and I keep the driver up to date.

As far as fonts, I'm not alwasy using fonts. For instance the last time I was creating a vector image to be placed into another program as a border to other images I have created. I have had some that I used fonts, but I usually create outlines when I have the typeface set. Fonts are usually taken out when I'm saving the .eps (though there could be some else where than the artboard I'm saving.) But as far as I know there is nothing wrong with these fonts. I'm not really sure how I would be checking that something is wrong with them. I get no errors or warnings from Font Book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use a font manager. I use network printers that arent connected directly  to my computer. My fonts seem to be ok. What do you mean exactly?

Also I am usually saving onto my network server.

I have since the time of the crash been running the program as an administrator and have run into no additional problems. I've even gone to save files with save for web and the windows did a little bit of the flickering and the program claimed not to be responding, but in less than a second everything was back to normal. I don't want to claim this worked, mostly because I didn't get the error that often, and its very obnoxious having to tell windows that Illustrator is allowed to change file settings every time I open a file from outside of the program dialogs, but I'm drafting easyer none the less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't work directly on networked or removable volumes. Illustrator may produce errors or corrupt files then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I stopped working on my networked drives and though WOO HOO!

But it crashed today as I was doing a save. Just a regular save too, not a save for web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed a possible error with some fonts. Some do not load when I try to use them, though I think its because they just don't have all the characters in them and I'm typing the wrong keystrokes to see it. But I'm not getting any errors reported when I open illustrator or anything like that.

But recently I have been getting this error when loading up a particular save file:

Arial:

Font not found on the system; missing font has been substituted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But its not giving me any guff from that point on and its clearly Arial font that I am looking at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The font just sounds like your file is either missing or corrupted. Try just deleting the font file and reinstalling that one.

As far as the crashing I'm still getting crashes (specifically with .eps and .png). I'm thinking it's just a bug. Perhaps something to do with the alpha channel? I don't know. But I found doing a hard restart fixes the problem. But only temporarily. I got to the point that I would get a crash all the time and then after a hard rebot it was working prefectly for a while. Once I started using all the other programs I needed and then about 3 days, i started getting crashes again. But I'd rebot and run smooth for awhile. I know it's a pain but it's the only way I could get the file type I needed. (also i had no problem saving the native .ai file, .jpg, .pdf, or .tiff)

Something to consider while we wait for an actual solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i've been dealing with Illustrator crashes for a while, especially when saving .ai or .svg. . I tried every trick in the book, and usually fonts and third party plugins are to blame. But last time it was something different: it had to do with the predefined printer.

I use a network printer, and which is set as default in my OS(Win7). If you change your default printer to a pdf creator  (or turn the damn thing on),  Illustrator will like it, since now it knows it has a path to spit ink if needed, and let you save your precious work.

It is a sort of a bug, that has been around since 2007 at least. check reply nº4 here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/320717

hope i was any help, and good work to you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines