• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a Rubber Stamp effect?

Participant ,
Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are familiar with the font "Ink Pad", this is the effect I want to use on an object.  It has the real rough looking edges of a rubber stamp.  How can I create this effect with Illustrator?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Aug 19, 2009 Aug 19, 2009

Hello Kelly,

Here is a method that I use:

First place a photo of a wall or floor and use "Live Trace" default

Stamp001.jpg

You will end up with a black and white texture like this:

Stamp002.jpg

Then Select all the white areas and delete them. If you have a lot of black texture, feel free to delete as much as you want. You can always copy and paste pieces wherever you want.

Stamp003.jpg

Now Place your design on top of the texture you have created. Then send the design to the back.

Stamp004.jpg

The last step is to select the outlined text and the compoun

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search Google for "Illustrator Rubber Stamp Tutorial"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was probably done by hand and the shapes were created custom for each letter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kelly,

Here is a method that I use:

First place a photo of a wall or floor and use "Live Trace" default

Stamp001.jpg

You will end up with a black and white texture like this:

Stamp002.jpg

Then Select all the white areas and delete them. If you have a lot of black texture, feel free to delete as much as you want. You can always copy and paste pieces wherever you want.

Stamp003.jpg

Now Place your design on top of the texture you have created. Then send the design to the back.

Stamp004.jpg

The last step is to select the outlined text and the compound shapes and apply "Subtract From Shape Area" with Pathfinder. Please note that this option does not work on CS3 from the menu (one of the hundred of bugs of this lousy version), so please use the Pathfinder Window.

Stamp005.jpg

And this is the end result:

Stamp006.jpg

This was a quick sample, but I am sure you can do something a lot better than this sample. I think the difficult part is to get a good photo. Maybe next time I will use a damaged concrete floor or wall photo.

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, thanx!  I never would have guessed that the basis for this is using another photo!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2009 Aug 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might also explore using the Symbol Sprayer and one of the Artistic Textures from the Libraries (Window>Symbol Libraries>Artistic Textures). Find one with a pleasing form, spray a nice pattern and from the Symbol panel flyout choose Break Link to Symbol. Use as instructed above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2011 Feb 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kudos!  We should keep people like you on this site....Thanks alot, this is a great help for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2011 Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really helpful thank you! I am having a problem when I do this, I followed all the steps and when I subtract, all of my letters and border of my stamp design disappears, bar the first letter. The letter looks correct with the texture etc, but I have lost the rest of the design. I'm not sure where I have gone wrong. Can anyone help?

Message was edited by: purplewhiskers

I just figured a solution out. I made my design a compound path, this kept all the pieces in when I did the subtraction step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like this method but i cant make it work, im i missing out of something?

Regards and thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Juntaz wrote:

im i missing out of something?

That depends on what exactly you're doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it has something to do with my design, a part of it is made with the rounded rectangle tool (stroke only)  and it makes a mess with the final result!

hmm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to post some screenshots or something.  Give us something to work with, eh?  "My thing isn't working - why not?" is not an easily answered question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your absolutely right, not much to work with! I was hoping that there might be some thing obviously that the "trained" eye easily could see, not necessarily a mistake, but perhaps some minor detail or something that was left out of this method. My design is pretty simple, a rectangle and some text, and as mentioned above, its the rectangle made with the rectangle tool that seems to be my problem. However, i found some kind of solution though. I saved the rectangle as a .jpg, live traced it, and then made it a compound path, that worked!  Thanks anyway  Regards  Juntaz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. When you say "select al the white areas and delete them", how do I do that please?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use the magic wand selection tool.  Click on a white area with it and it will select all the white.  Then hit delete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks!

Neil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I was planning on using this effect for printing on a brown pastry bag.  Is there a way to change the concrete texture that is white into a transparent one?  Kinda stumped at the moment, thanks. -John

daily_cup_stampy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some design are very good and nice conversation

Thanks

<a herf="http://www.acornsaless.webs.com/">Art Rubber Stamp</a>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2012 Apr 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tutorial. One question,

What is the difference between select>same>fill color

and just using the direct selection tool>clicking white areas> and hitting delete

And as someone mentioned a couple replies back. Using the magic wand>clicking white areas> and hitting delete

What are the differences here?? Or are they just different ways to get the same result, or is their something worth noting between these methods.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to select the white, it won't let me because my photo is a jpeg. What do I need to do so that I can select the white area?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YOu need to either work in Photoshop or trace your photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines