• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to access Ligatures??

LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Baskerville URW expecting to see ligatures as they appear on the Adobe download page and I see them in the Glyph panel, but double-clicking the gliph returns the standard characters. How do I access them? When I open the "OpenType" panel all options are grayed out along the bottom.

AI CC 2020, Mac
image.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Ray, according to the Document Info panel in Illustrator, it is an OpenType font.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Thanks for the tip about the "document Info" panel.
I've reverted to our standard "Baskerville TrueType" font and can access "fi" and "fl" ligatures with "Shift+Opt+5 & 6".

We can automate conversion with a script for production purposes. 

Thansks for the help, Ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a bug. Ligatures are recognized in Indesign for Baskerville URW, but not in Illustrator.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ton. I tried this on my home Mac (2011) and am able to double-click glyphs to place ligatures in text block but "Standard Ligatures" is grayed out in "OpenType" panel. Same in AI CC 2015 and 2020.image.png

I was hoping to turn on "Standard Ligatures" so they would auto-populate when entering text. Does a font have to be "OpenType" for this feature to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ray, according to the Document Info panel in Illustrator, it is an OpenType font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip about the "document Info" panel.
I've reverted to our standard "Baskerville TrueType" font and can access "fi" and "fl" ligatures with "Shift+Opt+5 & 6".

We can automate conversion with a script for production purposes. 

Thansks for the help, Ton!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear you got it working (in a way). I think it would be a good feature request to have automatic ligatures (if available) and not only ligatures defined as OpenType Ligatures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the InDesign type engine is smarter than the one in Illustrator and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No kidding! Consdering ï¬ƒ [U+FB03 : LATIN SMALL LIGATURE FFI] is copied as U+000E!! https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat/bug-in-unicode-processing-of-a-ligature-%EF%AC%83-u-fb03-lati...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?

I can copy your 

ffi

and paste it as

ffi

U+FB03

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it does not work in Acrobat Pro on PC, did you check the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I could copy the ligature from the PDF and paste it in Illustrator.

This is the Illustrator forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines