HOW-TO draw Mandala using illustrator

Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 2.57.10 PM.png

Open 1000x1000 px Artboard.

1 Draw vertical line, make sure it is align to artboard center

2 Select the line, go to object: Transform: rotate, angle 15°, hit copy, cmd/ctrl D 10 time to have more 10 copies

3 Copy the 2 lines (vertical and horizontal lines), past in place on new layer.

4 Draw with brush tool a line, select all layer (click on the circle right on the layer name to target all layer)

5 Go to Effect: distort and transform: Transform, choose reflect X and 1 Copy, hit ok 6 Again o to Effect: distort and transform: Transform, apply new effect, define the angle 30°, copies to be 11, hit ok.

Every thing you draw on this layer will be reflected on X for 1 copy, then will be rotated for 30° and will be repeated 11 times around the center on the artboard.

enjoy the mandala drawing 🙂

Watch the video

https://youtu.be/o1IBRw_7HBI

Open 1000x1000 px Artboard. 1 Draw vertical line, make sure it is align to artboard center 2 Select the line, go to object: Transform: rotate, angle 15°, hit copy, cmd/ctrl D 10 time to have more 10 copies 3 Copy the 2 lines (vertical and horizontal lines), past in place on new layer. 4 Draw with
TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to draw a mandala. But I cannot make the effect to be applied to the circle when I choose 30 degree and make 11 copies. It only applies to the motif and makes it 12 sided. What I am doing wrong? Please help. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show your AI file. Upload it to Dropbox or the like and post a link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see my screenshot. I have the guides in one layer, and the circle in another. Both locked. I go to Effect>distort & Transform> enter 30% in the rotation box and 11 copies and OK. Then I make a new layer which I targeted>draw a square without fill>click on color and you can see that the 11 afects the square which changes the shape. This is not what I want. I am enclosing a few screen shots from a site I followed to the letter, step by step. But it does not respond the same way. Here is also the link from that site. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHQi0I6dwmg  

I appreciate any help on step to make it. I know that I am making a mistake someplace, but cannot figured it out. Eve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm guessing you are not selecting the correct item to rotate.

You can place different elements on different layers or you can select objects that lie underneath other objects using Ctrl+click (Windows) or Command+click (macOS) (from https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/selecting-objects.html)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines