• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to invert font color relative to background?

New Here ,
May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gurus,

I have an object which is basically a sunburst, in black and white. On top of that I want some text to be displayed, but where the background is black, I want the text to be white, and vice versa. How should I go about doing this?

Please be gentle, it's a learning experience

I've been searching for a couple of hours to no avail. Is this that complicated to do?

Kindest regards,

Wim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2011 May 06, 2011

Wim,

You may outline the Type, tick Use Even - Odd Fill Rule, select everything, and Object>Compound Path>Make (white becomes transparent).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wim,

You may outline the Type, tick Use Even - Odd Fill Rule, select everything, and Object>Compound Path>Make (white becomes transparent).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jacob,

thanks for your answer.

Alas, I can't outline the text... The "create outlines" is greyed out. When I click on "Use Even-Odd Fill Rule", it immediately jumps back to "Use Non-Zero Winding Fill Rule" and I can't create a Compound Path because (I presume) the text is still tekt and not a path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok.

sorry

I didn't have the Select tool selected

I can outline the font, Use the Even-Odd Fill Rule, but when I make the Compound Path, what happens is the inverse of what I want.

The text stays black over the black part, and becomes transparent over the white part...

(so it basically becomes invisible... )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wim,

Edited out, crossposting.

Pondering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

The text has a lot of anchor points, and the Layers panel says it's a compound path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wim,

It should say that, so that is not the issue.

Still pondering, a quarter till midnight here; I believe it is the same with you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, it is the same here

Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 23.44.10.png

Here's a screenshot (hope it's ok to post that)

So what I want is, (of course the text would be lower, I put it higher up for clarity), that the letters show as white over the black rays, and stay black over the white part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wim,

Can you post one with the rays also selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 23.47.58.png

The rays are a group.

Also it's on a different layer.

There are separate triangles. (there's another piece of text there, that I want to give the same treatment)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the rays are in a different layer than the text, not sure if that is relevant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes, that was it!

I put the text in the same layer, did Make Compound Path again, and I got what I want...

Many thanks!!

I've been struggling with this for hours!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Wim.

The groups being in separate layers should not cause it, but there must be something changed for the better.

We made it today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so confused on this. You said "you may outline the type, tick Use Even - Odd Fill Rule,..." but where can i find this? I've been struggling to look for this in adobe D:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the Attributes panel. Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 5.37.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, but if it's not any trouble could you direct me to that panel? I'm completely 100% new to this software and need some help with navigating to that attributes panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind, I actually found the attributes panel but when I click the Even-Odd fill rule it clicks back. Something is wrong where the software doesn't like what I'm doing and I can't enable the rule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please show the contents of the layer in the layer panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

forged.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines