Highlighted

hyperlinks in Ai

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

i'm creating a .pdf from an Illustrator file.

the file has several web addresses which need to be hyperlinked for web use

i'm clueless, i have no web experience

all my work in the past has been print design

is this a novice or expert project?

if novice, please help!

Simply you need to create 2 layers.

1. Your URL just copy & paste it in Illustrator then give it 0% transparent.

2. Create another layer for example: Click Here and put it above the URL layer, then save as PDF it will work

Good luck.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

hyperlinks in Ai

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

i'm creating a .pdf from an Illustrator file.

the file has several web addresses which need to be hyperlinked for web use

i'm clueless, i have no web experience

all my work in the past has been print design

is this a novice or expert project?

if novice, please help!

Simply you need to create 2 layers.

1. Your URL just copy & paste it in Illustrator then give it 0% transparent.

2. Create another layer for example: Click Here and put it above the URL layer, then save as PDF it will work

Good luck.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 28, 2010 3
Engaged ,
Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't do this in AI. You would need to create buttons in Acrobat or Indesign.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2010 1
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I think the people at Illustrator as nuts - why can't we do this simply like in InDesign?
Why is it they make us go to Adobe Acrobat?
MADNESS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2016 3
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can. But in typical Illustrator fashion, the interface for the whole thing is utterly ridiculous.

The resulting PDF is here. Open it and you'll find that the URL is just text (not an image) and is a functioning hyperlink.

1. Select a text object that contains a URL.
  2. Object>Slice>Make.
  3. Object>Slice>SliceOptions.
  4. Slice Type: HTML Text. Turn on the Text is HTML checkbox. Note that the "Text Displayed in Cell" is not, in fact, the text displayed in the cell, but HTML code. Note that you can't edit the code.

If you must do this kind of thing in Illustrator, look up Slices in the online Help for more info.

If, as you say, you're not a web-head, but you want to see how easy building a perfectly sensible simple web page in a drawing program can be, download a demo of Xara Xtreme 5 Pro and try it out for a few days.

JET

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 28, 2010 14
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JETAlmage - great info thanks, helped alot. If you want to hyperlink a logo or an image,which illustrator doesnt allow you to do, you can do this: Place the image where you want it, lock it down. Write the URL to the page you want in a font just large enough to cover the image, if its too wide and not tall enough, make a couple lines of the same URL. Then, do what JETalmage says to do (below), then make the font 0-1% opaqe over the image (it wasnt working for me on 0% opageness.

1. Select a text object that contains a URL.
  2. Object>Slice>Make.
  3. Object>Slice>SliceOptions.
  4. Slice Type: HTML Text. Turn on the Text is HTML checkbox. Note that the "Text Displayed in Cell" is not, in fact, the text displayed in the cell, but HTML code. Note that you can't edit the code.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 26, 2011 2
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a really easy solution by mistake.

1) Create the hyperlink in Microsoft Word (like an email address or web link). Save the file.

2) Go to your open Illustrator file.

3) File --> Place

4) Select the saved Word document to place. Make sure that you do not check the "remove text formatting" box.

5) Voilà! Your hyperlinks are imported and work when saved as a PDF.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2010 15
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works!

Thanks a lot Juli-Jam!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2016 0
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! You saved my life!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2017 0
Engaged ,
May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to not contribute to the discussion here but... Illustrator... lol

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I just found a slightly easier way.

Write out the URL, and highlight it. Then, in the Attributes panel choose <Image Map: Rectangle>. In the <URL> field retype your URL. When you save the document as a PDF, the written URL will then be clickable.

I'm guessing this is too late for you, but maybe it will come up for the next person.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2010 24
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The,

You do understand, don't you?: That's not a simple text hyperlink; it's an image map.

JET

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 18, 2010 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet, it does not work for me with hyperlinked images on a Mac. The resulting PDF, when opened with Adobe Reader or Acrobat, contains no hyperlinks; however, if I open the PDF with Illustrator, the links are still there. So, the resulting PDF file contains the hyperlink information, but does not make it accessible to Reader or Acrobat.

How can Adobe possibly create software with such a flawed, incompatible feature?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2011 2
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"How can Adobe possibly create software with such a flawed, incompatible feature?"

It's pretty simple - they didn't really intend for people to be trying to make interactive PDFs in Illustrator. What everyone has describe here are more or less workarounds.

If you have access to InDesign, I'd very much suggest you do it there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 18, 2011 1
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely helped the next person. Thank you so much so the much needed solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2015 0
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked...this si great...doesn't matter that its an image map...it worked and it was simple! THANK YOU!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bit late, but I have found another way to attach urls to items in Illustrator (CS5).

1. Open the 'Attributes' tool panel CTRL+F11 or Windows >  Attributes
  2. Select the item you want to add a url to
  3. Select either polygon or rectangle from the 'image map' drop down
  4. Type a url in the box below

You can test the link by clicking on the 'browser' button

ScreenShot.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 05, 2010 18
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thu,

You do understand, don't you?: That's not a simple text hyperlink; it's an image map.

Bert (Plagiarized from JET's earlier post)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2010 1