Highlighted

I want to sync my workspace to a new computer and I have to do what?!?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got a new laptop, and I simply want to have the same settings on the new machine. After 5 minutes of app searching, and 5 minutes of Google searching, then 10 minutes of waiting for a chat representative, he tells me I need to go to my library folder and move a pref file from one location to another? Really? Oh yeah, and there WAS NO complimentary folder to drop it into on the new computer. So I gave up. I'll just rebuild the new copy with the settings I like. Oh I forgot to mention IT'S ALMOST THE YEAR 2020. 

Adobe, like are you kidding? CC is NOT CHEAP. How about a nifty "Sync settings" button or something? See? I just came up with that! Oh, and trying to do it on Photoshop is a WHOLE different thing using some arcane Windows 95 looking dialog box to move settings from one place to another - oh yeah, that didn't work for me either. 

Jokes aside, you guys should be a bit ashamed of yourselves.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance, Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I want to sync my workspace to a new computer and I have to do what?!?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got a new laptop, and I simply want to have the same settings on the new machine. After 5 minutes of app searching, and 5 minutes of Google searching, then 10 minutes of waiting for a chat representative, he tells me I need to go to my library folder and move a pref file from one location to another? Really? Oh yeah, and there WAS NO complimentary folder to drop it into on the new computer. So I gave up. I'll just rebuild the new copy with the settings I like. Oh I forgot to mention IT'S ALMOST THE YEAR 2020. 

Adobe, like are you kidding? CC is NOT CHEAP. How about a nifty "Sync settings" button or something? See? I just came up with that! Oh, and trying to do it on Photoshop is a WHOLE different thing using some arcane Windows 95 looking dialog box to move settings from one place to another - oh yeah, that didn't work for me either. 

Jokes aside, you guys should be a bit ashamed of yourselves.

TOPICS
How to, Import and export, Performance, Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 29, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2019 0
Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2019 0
Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you just use Edit > My settings > Export and Edit > My settings> Import ?

Apart from that: if this is about different versions, you might get issues with migrating settings.

And then: these settings get into the User folder, which is hidden by default and depending on the kind of user account you have on that machine, it might even be further protected. So you might want to read the system documentation on how to access your user folder. You didn't tell us which system it is, so nobody can give you any details.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2019 2
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW it was as simple as doing the export and import settings ^ . I was also looking for workspaces where they previously lived but this worked! 

thx 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 11, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika. I called Adobe Support and was told I had to recreate my workspaces. Previously I moved them over from the old computer onto the new computer (same folder), but that did not work. That does work with After Effects though. Copying the workspace files also works with Ps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2020 0
Resources