Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to move objects smoothly in Illustrator 2021

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Anyone having an idea whx i can suddenly not move my elements smoothly around in AI?
It started suddenly and i restarted all and everything to chekc if there is any other issue. Is there anywhere a align to grid or anything like align to pixels or so i overlook? I cannot find the issue and i work in a print based file not web based.
I had many other issues with Adobe updates to 2021 and just realized that Adobe did the upgrade on my AI without asking me again. PSD i had to reset to the 2020 version since the Software did not run on my setting. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.
Matthias

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matthias,

PSD i had to reset to the 2020 version since the Software did not run on my setting.

It could be a similar, albeit more sneaky, issue.

Have you looked at the system requirements?

Maybe you need to go back to 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matthias,

Sorry about the delay. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, would you mind sharing a few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • When you say "i can suddenly not move my elements smoothly around in AI", does that mean it is slow or it's not moving at all?
  • Could you please go to Illustrator preferences (CTRL/CMD+K) and check if  Real-Time Drawing and Editing (Preferences > Performance > Real-Time Drawing and Editing) is enabled or not?

If you couldn't move the objects at all or if the performance is slow while moving the objects, please try the suggestions shared on this page (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illu...) and let us know how it goes. 

Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here si where you can turn off align to pixel.

MikeGondek_0-1611189318150.png

If is acting like some woftware is running in background and slowing down your computer, and you are on windows let us know. Make sure no Adobe cloud updates are runnign in background in the Adbe Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tq  problem solve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue and I've tracked it down to Illustrator turning off GPU acceleration. Every file I open starts with GPU acceleration turned on, but after a short while it becomes slow and I see GPU preview is greyed out in View menu. This started with the latest 25.1 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reio,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. Could you please confirm which operating system you are working on? If you are using a Macbook, try turing off Automatic GPU swithing from system preferences.

Steps are shared here ( https://osxdaily.com/2017/01/08/disable-gpu-switching-macbook-pro/ ).

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

It's happening on MacOS Catalina running on an old Mac Pro with a single Radeon RX 580 graphics card.

What bugs me is there isn't actually any error message about it being turned off or something failing. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now back on 25.0.1 and oddly the problem is still there. I've now narrowed it down a little. When I create a new empty file, GPU preview works. I then open the Artboard Tool and GPU preview immediately stops working and switches to CPU preview. GPU preview will be greyed out from this point on.

I looked at logs in /var/logs, but there don't seem to be any errors there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is finally gone when I went back to v25.0. Updating from the working v25.0 to 25.0.1 broke it again.

Works: v25.0

Broken: v25.0.1, v25.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleague is experiencing the same on a 2019 iMac with Radeon Pro graphics and MacOS Catalina. She's also now gone back from 25.1 to 25.0.1 to 25.0 to get it working. Curiously her InDesign has also become slower with the latest updates.

We're at a stage where were actually becoming afraid to update our Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe it or not, this is still happening in v26.0. As soon as I use the Artboard Tool, GPU acceleration is gone.

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/42443869-view-u...

Screen recording:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/assets/226793869/Screen%20Recording%202021-02-09%20at%2010.58.45.m...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same problem and I have tried turning off the snap to pixel off option but it still happening. Did you find out why and solve it?

It is so frustrating I can't move around freely and it snaps automatically to the pixel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

giadab,

Are both Snap To Grid and Snap to Pixels off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you read everything in Srishti's post and can you answer her questions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines