• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrators Character Styles don't really make sense?

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign, I can simply design a paragraph using a paragraph style and then apply deviations (such as bolding) via a character style, because I can create a paragraph style that contains the sole information "style: bold". So that when I change the font in the paragraph style, the character style will simply apply the bolding to the new font.

In Illustrator, however, I need to select a font for the character style before I can select the style. This means that if I change the font in the paragraph style, I would also have to update it in the character style. Which makes the character style somewhat useless.

Am I missing something?

TOPICS
Feature request , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

No you're not missing something.

Please make a feature request to: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you're not missing something.

Please make a feature request to: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response, Monika. Just submitted my request.

I also realized I can't base paragraph styles on other paragraph styles. Illustrator needs to catch up with InDesign in that regard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% agree with you. If you are acostumed to the InDesign way of life, where a character style only introduces a small variation to a paragraph style (font, color, size), then characters styles in Illustrator are nearly useless.

Also, you can't base a paragraph style in other paragraph style, so I think that's why no one uses character or paragraph styles in Illustrator, only for very simplistic projects.

I'm dealing now with a project that uses the same text with two different colors and 4 different locations in a label, for more than 100 different labels, so it's a real nightmare to control the type size and color of every single line the way Illustrator implements the paragrah and character style features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I believe this is the OP's uservoice request:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests/suggestions/389...

Could do with more votes. It would be wonderful of course to have InDesign's level of control in Illustrator, but I doubt it's going to be a priority any time soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines