• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help avoiding Pixelation when converting Illustrator artwork to JPG on web banner!

New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm designing a web banner for a client's website. Dimensions need to be 728 x 90 (the standard I found through research).

I created my design on the Adobe Draw app, opened it in illustrator, and need to save it for client's use.

But whenever I export (Export For Screen) and save as JPG or PNG, image is horribly pixelated.

I don't know where I've gone wrong, as I thought vector images could be used at any size.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

-Alexa

TOPICS
Draw and design , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JPG and PNG are not vector images. You cannot scale them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you. I'm aware of that, but even when viewing the image at its normal banner size after export, it is pixelated. Because the image is vector to start, I thought could be scaled to any size, then saved to a jpg or png with clarity. (Quite new to vector illo but I thought this would be an easy process).

Maybe that size is too small for an image that should stretch the length of the screen on a webpage. Would you recommend a different size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first, JPG & PNG are pixel-based file formats, which means wherever you create any artwork in any appliaction them you export it to jpg or png the content will be converted to pixel when it saved to these file formats, the artwork quality will Be perfect at zoom (100%) . Any zoom in exceeds 100% the image will look pixilated.

open the exported jpg or png in photoshop, set the zoom ratio to 100%. Can you see any pixilation?

if not, then the problem is you are viewing  the file on a zoom more than 100% which will definitely lead to pixilated image( even if the content of the file is vector)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In your Illustrator Preferences, is Antialiased Artwork ( I think it is under the General tab ) selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines