• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PLEASE SEND HELP - Can't figure out why Illustrator is acting so REDICULOUS - Opacity + Blob/Brush.

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I'm just making my artwork, learning the software and minding my own business, and then all of a sudden when I try to grab a colour and property from an object using CTRL and use it on the same layer with the blob or brush tool, the properties wont stay the same, namely the opacity! I was changing in the most random erratic way and I've been trying for hours to figure out the pattern.

It's like a frickin detective case, I'm sat here at 23:30 racking my brain over this like in some overly dramatic crime film. And it gets worse.

Here's what I got: the under layer was originally a darker colour made opaque at around 67% but I flattened it so it's now a solid colour (100%), but the layer above it is the same original darker colour at 67% opacity, used for shading effects over the flattened one.

So I'm trying to continue shading and when I select the previously shaded sections to get the colour and opacity values, it seems to work, but as I begin painting, it just paints the colour at 100% opacity. To make things worse, it sometimes decides to blend with a different layer rather than painting on top of it!

Furthermore, in order to fix this problem, the strangest part of it all, I have to: select one of the shading

objects to get the property and colour, then deselect it with CTRL + SHIFT + A, paint a line, click out of the program, click back into the program and then undo the stroke. THEN, it works. Honestly, what the hell.

It feels like I'm casting a spell with this godd*mn procedure, Illustrator, WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS!?

Seriously, trying to use this after years of Photoshop makes me wanna go live in the mountains.

Please can someone tell me what's going on, or what I'm doing wrong because everything about this seems really unintuitive. I literally feel like the software is sentient, watching me and deciding what the next method of irritation is to stop me from just completing my pretty drawing.

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Withoutactually seeing your file I assume it will be difficult to even guess what went wrong.

Illustrator is not Photoshop and it works really differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines