• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem convert EPS to SVG. The shadow loses the transparency and lay on the top.

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to AI. I come from web development and recently learned how to work with XD. I have very little knowledge of AI, mostly use it to convert images from EPS format to SVG. I have a problem when I try to export an SVG. The document loses all the shadow effects in it. It instead just shows the shape in full color over all the elements. Now I don't know this field, and I would be happy if someone could explain what I need to do or what I need to learn to convert the file correctly. Is there a script I need to install or something else that I'm missing?

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This file is very complex with its clipping masks and transparency modes and stuff. The SVG format might just not support these constructs.

Also: the file is really huge. So SVG might not be the best file format option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand, but from a developer standing point, I prefer SVG much more than any other format, so I would like to know:
1.is SVG support shadow effects?
2.Is there a way to convert it to SVG without losing the transparency and the constructs? (I don't worry about the weight, I can decrease it to 5-15% of what it weighs now)
3. If there is no choice which format is better to use?

Thank you. I really appreciate it. It helps me understand what I need to search to find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As a developer you should dive into the features of that file format.

Yes, SVG supports a couple of effects (an engine for that can be found inside Illustrator: Effects > SVG filters, you can script the filter directly inside Illustrator or outside)

No, you can't convert the transparency. EPS is a format from the stone age - regarded from the developers' standpoint. It doesn't even know how to spell transparency. On top of that a designer making stock artwork has to usually save it as Illustrator version 10 (which is also stone age). So in order to cram those transparency effects into those legacy version files, the people building artwork for stock websites have to apply ancient methods.

And then all those blends in your file. Don't expect to save a lot of file size. That is just not possible with all those paths.

In order to make this better: don't use this kind of files. No EPS, No version 10 Illustrator. Search for files that have been made specifically for use as SVG. You are not just looking for nice graphics, because SVG is code.

From a developers' standpoint: SVG is not always "the best file format". It depends on the parameters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines