Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Restore Variable Width Profiles from Time Machine backup

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

When changing Illustrator version I forgot to keep preferences and have now lost my custom stroke width profiles. The version of Illustrator they are on will be on a Time Machine backup. Is it possible to find the relevant file and re-insert it to retrieve the profiles, or will I have to make them all over again?

I'm on MacOS Mojave and the profiles are on v25.2.3.

Thanks for any help!

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

I think I pointed to the wrong location.

The one you need is hidden in the preferences:

Username > Library > Preferences > Adobe Illustrator yourversionnumberwiththewidthprofiles Settings > VariableWidthProfiles

And the current one in the preferences needs to be replaced with the older one.

Maybe there are preferences left in you current system and you don't need time machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to find in your backup the Illustrator application folder > Support Files > Resources > your language > VariableWidthProfiles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, it seems it must have been longer ago than I thought when I last used the variable widths as all the backups I have of that file only contain the default 6 widths.

Therefore, it seems I don't actually have a backup of the necessary file, but thank you for the solution, which I will keep in mind for future reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I pointed to the wrong location.

The one you need is hidden in the preferences:

Username > Library > Preferences > Adobe Illustrator yourversionnumberwiththewidthprofiles Settings > VariableWidthProfiles

And the current one in the preferences needs to be replaced with the older one.

Maybe there are preferences left in you current system and you don't need time machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to the preference location in my backup and found that file is the one I needed. Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear that helped. Often the files in the application support files folder are not the ones that are really used by the application, there should only be a single source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines