Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unembed All Images?

Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2015 Aug 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there could be a "unembed all images" script out there. I have a pdf previously created in Word that I've imported into AI CC 2015 and need to create links out of all the embedded images in the doc.

Any help or reply is greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Andy

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know of a script but you can open the PDF using Photoshop and in the Image tab do what you need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Larry, thanks for the reply but I don't see how Photoshop would help me in this case. Any pdf opened in PS will flatten any linked images and all vector data into a single raster layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Have you tried opening the PDF in Photoshop? When you do you should be given an Open dialog with two tabs, one of which is Images. You can select all the images there and export as new files to relink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 02, 2015 Sep 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just save as an svg.

in the save options screen select link in the image location options.

then you will find all images saved in the same location as the svg.

you can then resave as a pdf and all links will be in place.

svg.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else stumbles across this, there is a solution for unembedding all images in an Illustrator file.

I tried the .svg method that Qwertyfly mentioned, and while this does save out all embedded images to a folder, it doesn't do much to help you if you want to get to an Illustrator file that has all the images linked (instead of embedded). The resulting .svg file still has the images embedded. You have to go back and re-link all the images one by one, which is a huge pain if you have 20 or more. I wasn't able to try the trick he mentions of saving to a PDF because my Illustrator file and SVG were huge (1.1GB) and crashed the program.

One solution I found that costs a little bit of money is a plugin called Rasterino by Astute Graphics: Rasterino - Astute Graphics

This will let you save out all embedded images to a folder, and then convert them into links to that folder. Gives you a nice clean Illustrator file, and also has some other nice features for working with raster images inside Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread was from a while ago, I wonder if the new Package feature could help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there are no options in the "Package" dialogue for embedded images. It will collect links for you, but has absolutely no effect on embedded images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Feb 24, 2018 Feb 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, so if we wanted to just use plain scripting, we would have to follow up the svg method with a script function to replace all the images with their svg-image link counterparts. Of course a special plugin is even better if it solves your needs, probably lots faster too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey bro, you can do it very easily in affinity designer the professional and light weight software that soon will kill adobe illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

professional and light weight software that soon will kill adobe illustrator

By @rehana36276218

Lightweight - yeah. It doesn't even have a tenth of the functionality Illustrator has (not even 30 year old functionality). Good luck working professionally with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This maybe so - but this is an Adobe forum and people are looking for Adobe related solutions.

If you're only here to push an Affinity agenda I am politely asking you to cease.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have written a script in this post that is meant to do exactly this—convert embedded images into linked images. It is new, and needs testing, so please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey Mark! thx for that script!!!!

its so usefull

i only have one problem.. the file is not saved as "imageTitle" its just image1 image2.. image100.. any iudea why?

the rest of the script works perfect! it does what i need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good point! I've updated the script now so that it uses a better name if it can find one. 🙂

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Andymc7, did the script I wrote up solve your problem? - Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines