• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my path one entity rather than separate segments I can select?

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I have a question about the pen tool and the segments it creates. When I first started using Illustrator, I could create an outline and then select the seperate pieces with the direct selection tool. Now, instead of the lines being seperate entities, they are appearing as one "path." In the layers, it even shows up as a single path. Is there a setting or something that I accidentally clicked that's making this happen? Here are two photos of what it used to be, and what is happening to me now. Please help! Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 8.35.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-13 at 8.36.45 PM.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

The Pen Tool will continue to make a single path as often as you click (or click and drag) with it until you press the escape, enter, or return key, select another tool, or cmd/ctrl-click away from the path. This is, and, I think, always has been its behavior. It does not create discrete segments. To separate the segments you may select the entire path and, with the Direct Selection Tool, shift-click to deselect one endpoint, then click on the "Cut path at selected anchor points" button in the C

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Bryce,

In addition to what Peter said, to select only part of a path with the Direct Selection Tool make sure it is deselected; you can do that by clicking an empty spot, or another path, or another (maybe locked) object in the Layers palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pen Tool will continue to make a single path as often as you click (or click and drag) with it until you press the escape, enter, or return key, select another tool, or cmd/ctrl-click away from the path. This is, and, I think, always has been its behavior. It does not create discrete segments. To separate the segments you may select the entire path and, with the Direct Selection Tool, shift-click to deselect one endpoint, then click on the "Cut path at selected anchor points" button in the Control panel or the Properties panel.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bryce,

In addition to what Peter said, to select only part of a path with the Direct Selection Tool make sure it is deselected; you can do that by clicking an empty spot, or another path, or another (maybe locked) object in the Layers palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines