• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't edit in InCopy. Seeing an "no" symbol.

Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am seeing a prohibit symbol (circle with a slash through it) when trying to make an edit in the layout view of InCopy. Anybody know what that means?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

InCopy-prohibit-icon.jpg

You should see here the "prohibit" icon that my editor is seeing in every InDesign file. After looking at this screenshot more carefully, I can see she has the "note" tool selected! After asking her to switch to the "text" tool, everything is as it should be. 

This turned out to be a very easy fix. I'm tempted to delete this post altogether because it's an embarrassment, but perhaps it will help someone else. 

Again, thanks for your time, Bob. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given your complete lack of information, my only thought is that the InDesign user did not export that content and make it available for InCopy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The content was exported correctly, because other editors are able to open it and edit without this problem. It's just one user that is seeing this "no" symbol. The file is on Google Drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is everyone using the same version of InDesign / InCopy? I’m not a fan of Google Drive but make sure that everyone involved has any smart sync type of feature turned off!

Don’t use assignments, either. Just open the INDD file in InCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are all using the same versions of InDesign and InCopy. We always open the INDD file, rather than assignment files. I'm not a fan of Google Drive either, but its much more reliable than CC.

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And smart sync features are turned off? And the story isn't checked out by someone else?

Can we see some screenshots of what's happening? Make sure frame edges are visible so we can see the adornments on the frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "smary snyc." If you mean Google Drive automatically updating when a file changes, we are definitely using that and have been for past year without trouble. 

The story is not already checked out when we see the problem.

I will get some screenshots. The editor is remote and is having trouble doing that, but I can see I won't be able to move forward without them.

Thank you for your assistance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smart sync is a feature that shows you the files in File Explorer (Win) or Finder (Mac) but the files are not stored locally until you want to use them. This is great for some types of work but not for collaborative workflows such as this.

I'll have more to go on with screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and BTW, I don't want to come off like a jerk but if the editor is having trouble taking screenshots, that has to leave me wondering about the skill level involved here. So let me ask a few other questions.

Windows or Mac for everyone involved?

Is this a new issue?

Is it only one file?

Is this a new editor?

Have people been trained?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She's unable to make a screenshot becuase the icon in question disappears. She's fully capable and experienced. We have a work around, so I'll be able to upload something later today. 

It's more than one file, but not every file. Yes, it's a very new issue. We've been using this workflow for almost a year without this problem. 

Thanks for being interested. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like a challenge. 🙂 

BTW, for right now, I don't need to see the mouse icon change. Let me see the assignments panel, fully expanded and one of the stories with the adornments visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InCopy-prohibit-icon.jpg

You should see here the "prohibit" icon that my editor is seeing in every InDesign file. After looking at this screenshot more carefully, I can see she has the "note" tool selected! After asking her to switch to the "text" tool, everything is as it should be. 

This turned out to be a very easy fix. I'm tempted to delete this post altogether because it's an embarrassment, but perhaps it will help someone else. 

Again, thanks for your time, Bob. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will undoubtedly help someone else. I'm glad it was a simple user error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Helped me! Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is everyone using the same version of InDesign / InCopy? I'm not a fan of Google Drive but make sure that everyone involved has any smart sync type of feature turned off!

Don't use assignments, either. Just open the INDD file in InCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines