Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ICMA fle doesn´t reflect changes in InDesign

New Here ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i´m curently working at a very small company and try to implement an Indesign-InCopy workflow.

So far it works fine but changes i make to an Indesign Document are not reflected in the InCopy file.

Example: After the intial creation of the icma file i add a couple of textframes to an allready existing task in InCopy.

Indesign asks if i want to export the new settings, i want.

Opening Incop the newly added textframes are not available to the editor.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TOPICS
InDesign workflow , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

ICMA adds an unnecessary level of complexity. Stop using them.

Instead export the InCopy content and then open the INDD file in InCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ICMA adds an unnecessary level of complexity. Stop using them.

Instead export the InCopy content and then open the INDD file in InCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, what a fast reply!

Just in case it´s important i´d like to add, that the files are in the dropbox.

Regarding your suggestion. The Editor is working with a PC, i initially tried to open the InDesign File on his computer but it wouldn´t work. I´ll try again but could it be the case, that it´s not possible to open an InDesign file with InCopy on a PC?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This workflow is fully cross-platform. All users must be on the same version of InDesign/InCopy.

If you're using a shared Dropbox folder make sure all participants have cloud only turned OFF! All files must be fully synced to all users harddrives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bob, great help. I´ll try to open the .indd file again on the next occasion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, works exactly as you described it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So  the new only workflow is to give the InDesign-file to the editor? So the editor is able to open the InDesign-file in InDesign and can now design and make changes in the layout on it's own … We'd like to avoid this. How is it possible to avoid giving the original InDesign-file to the editor (my client)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No! The editor can open the INDD file directly in InCopy. Since this has been asked and answered I am going to lock this discussion. If you're having issues understanding this please start a new discussion with full details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines